Towball Mod for Bike Rack

nzstato

Hi All

I've been scratching my head for a solution to fit one of the 'standard' bike racks to a Euro swan neck tow ball

I know of the options to swap the ball hitch and/or the bike rack but neither are cheap and I have this combo already sitting around.  The bike rack connection works by forcing down on the bar tongue and since none is there for euro style it doesnt work.  I'm thinking the solution might be to fab a removable collar to fit around the ball to take the job of the tongue.  Anyone done this or seen similar?

i.e.

This (which I have)

T7CATN9M3XX_zoom---4-bike-rack-mk3.jpg?v

to

this (this)

Screenshot2023-06-29095950.jpg.30192ef14e8d5b19c3df02075790e1b0.jpg

Could depend how much distance you need from the ball to the flat section. Could cut a flat bit of plate so it's a nice tight fit around the shaft below the ball. A U shape piece, if the thickness allowed, that might be strong enough to be the tongue. Could always weld more plate on the sides under the plate when installed and rack is level. Could still slip it off when not in use. But when in use it uses the force of the bolts to hold it all together. Shouldn't be able to move as it will be jammed against the whole diameter of the bar.

I have a similar, but not quite as bad problem. The tongue on mine is minimal around the back of the ball. So if my rack doesn't work i'm just going to make a small metal plate in a donut shape and bolt it between the ball and tongue. Same sort of solution to the above, but my plate won't need to be as thick as it's supported.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bling said:

Could depend how much distance you need from the ball to the flat section. Could cut a flat bit of plate so it's a nice tight fit around the shaft below the ball. A U shape piece, if the thickness allowed, that might be strong enough to be the tongue. Could always weld more plate on the sides under the plate when installed and rack is level. Could still slip it off when not in use. But when in use it uses the force of the bolts to hold it all together. Shouldn't be able to move as it will be jammed against the whole diameter of the bar.

I have a similar, but not quite as bad problem. The tongue on mine is minimal around the back of the ball. So if my rack doesn't work i'm just going to make a small metal plate in a donut shape and bolt it between the ball and tongue. Same sort of solution to the above, but my plate won't need to be as thick as it's supported.

This is 100% my thinking.  Except the use of a U-shape would be easier, I was thinking 2x half moons.

Steel sleeve inside the bike rack so it’s a tighter fit on the ball 

and a plate with a hole in it at the top of the sleeve so the tow ball top has something to locate to and the bolts have something to pull down against 

when I worked in a bike shop the owner had a merc with euro tow ball and just bought the T7 rack that fitted and that was pretty much the difference 

can prob buy just the upright not the whole rack