Haydn's 1993 VP Barradore discussion.

Rhubarb77

Is this going to be a street car or dedicated drag machine?

If my lightly modified fg turbocoon ute is anything to go by this thing is likely to be a serious handful...

The way the torque piles in from ~2200rpm is insane in these 4 litre engines.

Even with a gentle roll on into the throttle in 4th gear starting at 80kph by the time you get to peak torque at 120kph a few moments later it's properly baking the rear tyres. 

• Like 4

Hi. It's going to be both street and strip but mainly street and roll racing. There's no plans to get it tech'd which means any faster than 10.5sec? over the quarter and I'll get sent home. When it's all working optimally I'll most likely take it for a first and last pass :joker: What tyres do you have on your Ute? I'll be using Hero's or Pro Street Radial 235 60 15. I have been told to expect insane torque and performance. Can't wait. Cheers

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rhubarb77 said:

What tyres do you have on your Ute? 

It's had a selection of tyres, from budget through to pirelli pzero, 245 40 19, none last very long, some of the issue in my case can probably be attributed to the leaf spring live axle rear end.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

pistons supposed to be reasonable, some internet experts rate the standard fg xr6t piston over the FPV F6 semi forged one for bigger power over stock (although its heavier, i cant recall if this was just FG or same for BA/BF). Aftermarket forged obv get to even bigger power. cant recall what the internet says stock rods are good for but i thought so long as not mk1 BA xr6t small rods then unlikely to turn to bananas until seeing much more power than stock, didnt think rods were any more limiting than pistons but maybe they are??? i guess all depends on budget and goal for power/skids for the kids

4 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Hi  @Rhubarb77   

I have a question.

You've fitted after market rods, but still running Cast pistons?  Surely the pistons will disinterested/migrate into the sump for for the rods exit the chat?

Yes these are a factory BF turbo piston I bought complete with 3R rods, sold the rods so the pistons cost me next to nothing. As xsspeed mentioned, they are supposed to handle quite a bit of punishment. I got the idea from the Carnage channel on YouTube when Scotty built the greentop Barra. . This is definitely a budget build! I figure, I give it a go. If it works that's awesome. If it doesn't, I learn a lesson and have another go. That's the beauty of this cheap and abundant taxi engine hahaha.  

• Like 5

A quick update guys. I sent a PM to Zane from Maxx Performance regarding the stock turbo pistons (he supplied them for the aforementioned Greentop Barra build) and he's run them at 680RWKW on E85 for several years but does not recommend this! My goal is 550kW. 

• Like 1

They probably won't fly apart as you only need sensible rpm, to make solid power numbers on a 4 litre turbo with dual vct.

Good reliable fuelling and boost control and not trying to dial in a hero tune should prevent torching the tops of the piston (which an OEM or aftermarket are probably as prone to as each other)

• Thanks 1