4AGZE boosted engine

Alyeomans

Hi all,

My engine is a 4AGZE from an aw11 MR2 1986. I am building the engine up for more power and ultimately want to turbo after getting bored with the supercharger.

I would be very happy with 200kw at flywheel with increase supercharger boost and effective ic.

Other mods are: ARP head studs, port and polish, TRD head gasket, Kelford 193T cams.

I have new Hastings piston rings and need to gap which got me thinking of the following questions.

1. What power can the 4agze low comp 8:1 pistons and rods take? Crank is the 42mm and a 7 rib block.

2. What would be the next week points in the engine?

2. Assuming that is my max power for the build, would anyone be able to guess approximately what boost pressure would get that power? 

Thanks

Al

I've had several 4agze turbo's, 200kw at the wheels will be a piece of cake.

I've had:

4agze big port, 8:1, completely stock internally including cams. Link ECU, t28 turbo.

That made 150kw atw limited by 365cc injectors. 

Boost was something like 15psi from memory.

4agze small port

Stock internally. Bluetop cams. 8.9:1. Link ECU and TD05 16G, 510cc injectors.

That made 220kw atw on about 20psi. Super responsive too.

I've had other set ups like a big T04e turbo one and stock 4agze ecu's (AFM and MAP). But those two were the main ones.

The main weakness is draining oil from the head back to the sump. All 16v's suffer from this if racing it with constant high revs. I made baffles, huge external oil drains, completely rebuilt etc etc. They all did it, fwd and rwd etc etc.

I think the best solution is a restrictor in the feed into the head.

• Like 1

Also regarding the supercharger, they are not very good.

They make about 100kw - 110kw at the wheels on a good day. They are just too asthmatic and produce lots of heat.

There is/was a reputable tuner in NZ called Andre Simon I remember talking to him about an S/C aw11 he was working on. I think it made about 115kw at the wheels with lots of playing around. This from the guy who was world famous for his tuning.

Don't get me wrong, the 4agze is a very fun engine. I had a later MAP sensored one (from an ae101) in my old AE86. That had a 11psi pulley, front mount intercooler etc etc, great fun but probably only made 100kw at the wheels, great torquey fun but once I went turbo it was like night and day.

Even a worn out oil burning thrown together stock ecu big port 4agze with a worn out t25g made 125kw at the wheels without even trying (10psi trailing off to something lower because it was stuffed) :smile: 

• Like 2

As above, 200kw at the flywheel will be easy with a suitably matched turbo and a good tune.

My old dead stock aw11 ZE made 198kw at the wheels on 16psi with a very old technology T04e turbo and I've seen known many setups making much much more power on stock internals without any issues.

You wont however get the power you want with a stock ecu - they pull heaps of timing from 5500rpm up due to being tuned for the inefficient SC.

8:1 is pretty low comp, so if you want a bit more response then throw a thinner head gasket it at.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

depends what your trying to do.  ok if you just want a bit more power.  but turbos have come a long way in the last 20-30 years..  get some newer tech on there,  same spool  more power and/ or easier on engine at same power