Toyota Alphard

GregT

Who knows anything about these ?

Dog breeder friend of ours bought one privately Low mileage only used for short runs. First long run to a Southern dog show it shit itself, Engine full of sludge which has stuffed camchain tensioner and chain plus probably more. Had an engine lined up but it had been sold and not deleted off stock....

So currently looking for engine. And possibly any info about what else goes in/exchanges.

Car is currently in Waimate - where it died. I was to ferry the engine down Friday until that fell through.

Any info on an engine source welcome.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, GregT said:

Only short runs huh?

There’s your problem. Probably hasn’t had an oil change in years because “it hasn’t done 10,000km since the last one” My other favourite is “it’s a Toyota, therefore it is indestructible and thus maintenance is for mugs”

4 cylinder or V6? Actually it doesn’t matter really, because either is extremely intolerant of skipped services and prone to sludging. I think they’re an Estima in drag, essentially so engines should be plentiful?

13 minutes ago, Sunbeam said:

Only short runs huh?

There’s your problem. Probably hasn’t had an oil change in years because “it hasn’t done 10,000km since the last one” My other favourite is “it’s a Toyota, therefore it is indestructible and thus maintenance is for mugs”

4 cylinder or V6? Actually it doesn’t matter really, because either is extremely intolerant of skipped services and prone to sludging. I think they’re an Estima in drag, essentially so engines should be plentiful?

Yeah, sludge. i wasn;t consulted pre purchase but she got her local garage to look it over.

Would need Toyota pro to confirm engine interchangeability before spending anything. And ideally in the SI.  4 cylinder AFAIK

Who is going to replace then engine? Would think mechanics would have decent networks for engines. (I only say this as when I had one rebuilt they sourced all sorts of 2nd hand bits for it) A bunch on trademe but to keep it simple you'd probably want to go for one from same chassis. You haven't said it's a hybrid so that should narrow it down a bit. 2az come in many models so as mentioned above should be a few around. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/engines/listing/3722217987?bof=sylVzUUc

Getting up there price wise + shipping, but could be same chassis. Bit hard to know with no info though.

Garage in Waimate will do the change and have been looking for engines. I've not spoken to them so don't know how switched on they are. It appears they were looking for same-same as probably easier. But seemingly harder to find.

• 2 weeks later...