RXFORD

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RXFORD

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Havn't had much time for my own junk lately, but had to do some repairs on the Gmc.

I took it to work about a month ago after it had been parked up for a good 3-4 weeks and heard a horrendous grinding/ratteling noise. Found that the waterpump was on its way out and I had thankfully caught it before a complete collapse.

Probably the easiest waterpump I have done. So much room between engine and radiator once the fans removed. 

Tried repairing it but ended up having to grab a new one from Sta Parts..

20230407_224747.jpg

20230407_230420.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

For the last year I had been having an issue where truck would die every now and again if idle dropped whilst changing from D to R etc. It progressively got worse and ended up being every time I came to a stop at a set of lights... I was having to left foot brake to keep the rpm up. 

Anyway, dizzy/cap & rotor looks like they were from ww2 so figured I would replace the cap/rotor but It was only an extra $60 for a complete new dizzy from Afwe. Got it swapped out and truck ran mint....

For a day.

20230411_151416.jpg

The day after swapping dizzy I decided to put a fresh fuel filter in as I had never changed it in 5 years/17'000mi of owning.

Got that done and filled it up with fuel on my way home that night. 

As soon as it fired up to leave the gas station it started running rough as guts. Worse that it ever had. Took it home thinking it may have got a little water in tank but next morning it was still terrible. Overfuelling really bad.

Played with timing some more thinking I may have got it wrong and even swapped old dizzy back in incase new china one had shit itself already, but no change.

Found a split/taped up map sensor vac hose, so that probably didn't help the situation.

20230413_181451.jpg

20230413_181739.jpg

• Like 3

Also noticed a leak coming from around the fuel pressure reg which is built into the back of the tbi unit. No idea what caused it, but I know it wasn't happening before I did dizzy/fuel filter. Maybe I bumped it and the old brittle gasket failed.

Anyway, the leak was just dumping fuel into the the tbi throats, so I'd say this was the main cause of overfuelling.

Ended up removing the unit and was able to get a rebuilt kit complete with a new fuel pressure reg unit from the guys at American Pickup parts Nz. 

Got the tbi unit stripped and cleaned ready for rebuild but then found a stripped thread on the fuel inlet to the injector pod. Found another complete tbi unit locally so brought that and robbed the injector pod from it.

20230413_181458.jpg

20230417_191146.jpg

20230417_172947.jpg

• Like 8

Was finally able to get it back togethor and refitted to the truck. Timed it up again and took it for a spin. Seemed pretty good, go Clints opinion comparing it to his Chev and have been putting a few miles on it since with no obvious issues.

Bit of an expensive excercise, but hopefully its good for a while now. 

20230417_195020.jpg

20230417_201202.jpg

20230417_213611.jpg

• Like 7