Gibbons 85 DASH starion

gibbon

The next step for me is to start reinstalling the interior, then I'll probably sit on it for a few months as it's not exactly painting weather. I've got to clean up the floor under the dynamat, but the next bit is a bit of a big decision - I sort of need to sort the wiring out before the dashboard goes back on. But I don't know if I want to keep the original ECI setup or go with sik modz and run an aftermarket inlet. So far I've amassed a 4age quad throttle inlet, a CA18DET 4 > 8 port lower manifold adapter, and my flange that I copied off the spare manifold. So I do have the ingredients to make a pretty swank inlet, which will then of course need an aftermarket ecu to run, I'll probably go with a microsquirt, speeduino is more appealing to a cheapass like myself but it doesn't have knock sensing (yet?)

OR

I keep the original setup as-is. It's a rare car, it's a rare engine.... maybe these things are going to be worth something someday? Having said that, the panelbeater did change one of the hinges from an integral to a bolt-in item, so the chassis isn't as-factory original anymore. That'll probably lose my descendants a fortune at the classic mitsubishi auction of 2080

Nice project!

The Starion I'm currently doing up is in a similar state, and rusted out in most of the same places (some better than yours, some worse). I'm trying to tackle all the repairs myself so those shots from the panelbeater are very useful haha. I'll get off my arse and update my build thread eventually.

She calmed down a bit when the car left for the panelbeaters, and we got a bit of garage space back.

Then it came back and she's grouchy again. 

Firebrand cool to hear of another starion getting the treatment, let me know if there's anything I can help you with. Seen a couple of other cheap starions pop up on trademe right now, that fucking scuttle rust is a killer alright. My car had one bonnet hinge integral to the firewall, and one was bolted in, I wasn't sure if that was normal, and if not, how it was supposed to actually go. But I see now that the original setup is both of them integral... both of mine are bolt-in now, I'm actually happy about that, means I can get in there again if I need to. My hinges were rooted, thought about going with bonnet pins for a bit but then found some good ones in my parts heap

17 hours ago, Firebrand said:

Nice project!

The Starion I'm currently doing up is in a similar state, and rusted out in most of the same places (some better than yours, some worse). I'm trying to tackle all the repairs myself so those shots from the panelbeater are very useful haha. I'll get off my arse and update my build thread eventually.

just read your project thread, which starion are you doing up now? the first one or the second one

Also I guess what I call a scuttle you call a cowl... you have A SPARE ONE? Tell me you wouldn't have sold it to me anyway, so I'll feel better about spending a fortune fixing mine 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gibbon said:

just read your project thread, which starion are you doing up now? the first one or the second one

Also I guess what I call a scuttle you call a cowl... you have A SPARE ONE? Tell me you wouldn't have sold it to me anyway, so I'll feel better about spending a fortune fixing mine 

I'm on the second starion, the NZ New one - sold the first one just before lockdown, but haven't been on here much lately. I have a spare cowl/scuttle/whatever, but it's a bit stuffed also - rusty in all the usual places, so you haven't missed out on anything!. I'll see if I can get some photos and do a build update later in the week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Firebrand said:

I'm on the second starion, the NZ New one - sold the first one just before lockdown, but haven't been on here much lately. I have a spare cowl/scuttle/whatever, but it's a bit stuffed also - rusty in all the usual places, so you haven't missed out on anything!. I'll see if I can get some photos and do a build update later in the week. 

I vaguely remember a red one with a blown head gasket being for sale sometime before lockdown, was that you?

The missus will be even more on side when you tell her you're heading out to the garage for some Dual Action Super Head.

I was wondering who picked this up, looks like it's in good hands! I've been doing a little bit of work on my Starion recently while waiting for bits for my truck, I really should make a thread about it.

On 20/07/2020 at 22:00, yoeddynz said:

Nice funny write up. Made me giggle.

When the panel beater returned the car did he appear to have more grey hair than when he had when he took it away?  He's done a neat job. You should be proud (in selecting him) :-)

He was pretty upbeat about it actually, but perhaps that was because it was leaving. I protected his hard work last night by blasting two litres of LPS3 into it via a fogger gun, followed by a can of fish oil. Now the car has corrosion protection to rival a seaplane and smells like the business end of a wharf, just how I like 'em. I'll start putting the interior back together once the fish stank subsides 

On 23/07/2020 at 15:46, ProZac said:

The missus will be even more on side when you tell her you're heading out to the garage for some Dual Action Super Head.

I was wondering who picked this up, looks like it's in good hands! I've been doing a little bit of work on my Starion recently while waiting for bits for my truck, I really should make a thread about it.

I wrecked my last starion by being a young idiot, I'm keen as to make amends with this one. Keen to see build threads from you other starion owners, sounds like theres a few still kicking around 

• Like 1

I'm putting the inlet manifold project on hold for now. I looked at my ridiculous stack up, adaptor plate, ca lower manifold, another adapter plate, quad throttles, then giant 4age plenum and realised it wasn't likely to clear the strut tower. I could try to bolt up a fwd ca upper manifold, but the money and time I'd spend on an aftermarket ecu and tuning would probably be enough to get the paint job finished, which is a higher priority 

The 35 year old mitsi electronics will do what they do eventually, maybe I'll look at an upgrade then... 

• 4 months later...

What is it you do to earn a crust?

The rust repairs on your car are a work of art.

I got an angry email from HR last friday. I'm a 'leave offender'.... As in I had too much stacked up. I'm now off till the beginning of Feb. Not all of it is holiday though, have some side hustle work booked in for Feb which will be nice.

I'm an aircraft mechanic... pays just well enough to pay a local fella to do rust repair works of art for me

Regarding holiday pay I'm in a similar situation, the boss semi-seriously informed me that I wouldn't be getting my full payout if I ever left, because the company would go under trying to pay me out lol. Typical thing though, once you start taking a bit of ownership its hard to just take time off and let others deal with it