Shrikes latest Australian project

shrike

Evening All, not quite old enough to be classed as oldschool yet but being a 1994 model and 26yrs old its getting close (I hope)

For those that know me I still have an Ae111 in Levin in Nz thats slowly being built, I havent put a buildlog on here as I have one spread across a few other forums. Come Christmas this year Ill have everything needed for it to be finished and will be getting a timeline off my fab guy for completion.

Due to now having space and some funds I can spare, along with more  time. I have been keeping an eye out for something to tinker on and setup as a weekend/mild track day car

So I have purchased a sight unseen 1994 Australian delivered Mitsubishi cc Lancer GSR from Queensland and its being delivered on the 24th

Its white so matches the other cars in my collection, seems pretty clean from the pictures

Has a larger fuel system, coilovers, catback, larger brakes and a few other goodies. Its also fully mod plated for a 4g63 and the other mods, so I can register it.

However its currently a rolling body with an RVR engine coming with it. No factory ecu or the aftermarket ecu it used to have, so im going to be doing so wiring to get the rvr ecu going and then will go to a later model evo ecu or a speeduino 

The RVR engine is also the 2G style one which has a smaller turbo and is prone to crank walk etc

Will post pictures when it arrives 

Current plans are get it all together, running and legal. Get an N/A 4g63 or a Hyundai equivalent to build up with a 4g69 crank, forged rods/pistons etc to swap in later

Hopefully I don't have to many surpises when it arrives.

• Like 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few teaster pics, the seller has sent me

spacer.png

Also brought a cc lancer boot lid (no holes) for 120 including shipping,  seller polished it up and its looking mint. Had a $5 1.8 lancer ecu arrive that ill take the header plug off to make an adapter harness with

Going to order some reproduced stickers from the uk for it as well, need to work out if it has evo front guards or not.

Once it arrives ill make a parts list and start slowly ordering bits, trying to get some FTO front drive flanges for a 5stud conversion down the track but not finding much.

received_715542175855346.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg.jpg

IMG_1559.jpeg.jpg

IMG_1560.jpeg.jpg

IMG_1561.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

Car arrives a week from Sunday

Picked up these for it off FB marketplace for $100 they are mint, may get a lick of paint/plastic dip along with a new set of clips before they go on the car

Those that know early 90s lancers will understand how hard these are to get 

May pick up a brand new in box 2nd hand GFB blow off valve for it next week as well, my mate picked up an engine stand and crane for me today

Will pick up all fluids for a service next weekend, will paint engine, replace seals, timing belt etc before it goes in and then reuse them on the new 4G69 shortblock I build up when thats ready to go.

received_273042097161725.jpeg

• Like 1

Car is getting pick up today, seller sent me some pics (sprry for bad quality) transporter will send me pics and more info when he gets it so updates to come

RVR loom has had auto parts cut out :s but means ive got spare plugs etc for my adapter harness if needed

Seller is also going to post me a flywheel once he gets it off a mate, should arrive sunday so ill make a list of whats missing and go from there. Moving into the house I brought on the 16th of July so aiming to have it either more together or drivable by then 

received_269971597488093.jpeg

received_253712512534034.jpeg

received_171458790956117.jpeg

received_678072032758536.jpeg

received_171984730895785.jpeg

• Like 4

Car arrived yesterday, still trying to work out if I got a good deal or not but im still at the point of making more then what I paid if I part it out.

Its missing a lot of stuff, and there is some real amateur/unsafe work done

Test fitted the intercooler and front bumper (needs mesh and the rad/intercooler painted black) its just cable tied in the pic and has now been removed 

Came with a cut bumper crash support and a few mods to fit in I supect intercooler/intake piping

Paint is ok from far but far from great, will need a full respray at some point and ill do the engine bay and boot once they are cleaned up

Went and grabbed a heap of parts of a lancer wagon at pickapart, also have gearbox mounts/brackets, cv bolts/washers and a better set of headlights with indicators and springs. Will probably buy some orange indicators off ebay later on. Will probably need more brackets and nuts/bolts etc to get it back together. Aircon needs a radiator which ill sort out later to be complete, the front knuckles have some play so hoping its due to no cvs and that the bearings are ok, If it needs new bearings ill be getting bits to 5stud convert it including wheels 

received_3846048778799839.thumb.jpeg.6b3513897914213eea38d15cef832060.jpeg

received_365823087710345.thumb.jpeg.8470c391204148aa947a62da1b8a05a7.jpeg

Car arrived with the camber maxed out one way so the wheels stuck outside of theguards a fair whack, my mates adjusted it back slightly and it now fits.

Rims are Koya I think and are 17x8 +30 

received_1554035364777321.thumb.jpeg.25a5956abedaf2a44d4b7eade6a1df3b.jpeg

Wiring is shocking, will pull the dash out and see how bad it is but so far its had a haltech adapter loom plugged in (im not sure if it thats the case though) an aftermarket alarm, lots of crimp connectors every where etc, extra switches, additional relays and fuses for I dont know what so will try put it all back to stock or get/ make a replacement loom for it. ive got the loom that came with the engine as well 

received_2576696692645448.thumb.jpeg.13a947f13dd92ae7079c256387e0eedd.jpegreceived_249272209748328.thumb.jpeg.ac2f2d530ab2236b9fba34759e95c116.jpeg

Fuel pump setup is a concern they didnt use e85 safe hoses and they are now perished, on a plus they did use hard line as well so just need to drop the tank for a better look.

received_2894955993959882.thumb.jpeg.71754f50f7f3501749c95b6ce9fec8ae.jpeg

received_2520851841560197.thumb.jpeg.5eaf218a7f8d2b09399b063c14c00a8b.jpeg

Will be redoing the fuel pump wiring, I beleive this currently goes to the fuel pumps

received_681803802609678.thumb.jpeg.7488c28a92bd292c5226951fa1e60bde.jpeg

Also will be rust treating the spare tire well along with removing the dynamatt reside that wasnt cleaned up properly, any tips? Thinking ill use the old fuel in the tank to help disolve it.

received_707102946808782.thumb.jpeg.8a8806a29773b61be4cf268ab5f87be2.jpeg

Boot lid needs realigned, so will tidy up one of the corners on my spare one and install that 

Will pull exhaust off so I can pull the tank, so will inspect that, I think it may be too loud so will look into adding a muffler, also not sure it has a cat so need to get one of them too. Currently the exhaust has a rear mount that doesnt go to anything.

• Like 1

Slowly buying parts to get this thing upto standard

Cusco engine mounts from RHD Japan as it came with no gearbox mounts/brackegs and wrong mount on the engine. At least ive got all the engine mount brakets bolts etc now, have transfer case supports and the transfer case bolts ln the way from a guy in qld, also got the flywheel inspection plate cover. Still missing the cv bracket bolts (will grab them from  pickapart next time) and the plate between the gesrbox and engine, ill either make one, mod the auto one or buy one from Amayama. 

Have 25ft of ethonal safe 11/16" hose on the way and 2 30m rolls of 25amp rated wire (red and black)

Picking up a mint dash loom saturday just encase the current one is too butchered. 

Grabbed my two speeduinos and wiring tools etc from storage, couldnt find my wideband so may buy a Spartan 2 so I can get it running. Other option is just tune it super safe with the narrow band :s but not super keen

Still need to get a clutch and flywheel, rying to get one 2nd hand but can get a genuine flywheel locally as nos for 215aud

I keep finding bits missing and questionable work, ideally need it drivable by Aug as thats when my mates moving into my new house 

So picked up a 2nd hand flywheel and exedy 6puk clutch yesterday for a good price, ordered arp flywheel bolts and a new release bearing. Will be strengthening firewall for the clutch master to reduce flex as well. 

Clutch is alittle worn and has a few minor chunks missing but was cheap and will get it moving, can buy a new plate if I need to.received_558718294837503.jpeg.0875b522ac6c45d6b948ca832647393f.jpeg

Pulled the dash out (had to cut multiple cable ties that had wiring attached)

Managed to pull out the alarm, and the dodgy fuel pump wiring. May have to redo the factory fuel pump wire and repair the door/boot sensor the alarm was tied into

Also got most of the engine loom out, will have to unpin the connectors to get it through the firewall bulkhead however.

Ive got a spare dash loom to go in if need be, might also get another fuse box and the other engine bay wiring to bring it back to factory

received_250766579343832.thumb.jpeg.4dea9f09f69f0ede8b209d4531c3640c.jpegreceived_401722700784982.thumb.jpeg.d220628021e6a9c3ac64310ec795d058.jpegreceived_1641909245966748.thumb.jpeg.f3ef7917151fa6233799c02cfa863fb0.jpeg

Confirmed they are Koya racing rims so emailed them about info and center caps

received_2667773856880905.thumb.jpeg.b8d8b9e0ca70d39a841c615c660a0c4a.jpeg

Had my Arp flywheel bolts arrived and seems I ordered the wrong ones so have ordered the correct set. 

Fuel hose and 25amp wiring spools have arrived 

Also the other spares I got from interstate, should now have everything I need to get the car back together pending the flywheel bolts and a clutch release bearing 

Grabbed some other things out of storage but still can't find my two Speeduinos, wideband and all my wiring gear and relays :s also ordered the module I need for the speeduino to run the factory Mitsubishi idle control.

Have done a wiring diagram in Excel for my plugin patch loom and made a really safe basemap on tunerstudio. Will need to get a paid version of Tunerstudio later on. 

Plan for tomorrow is to get the fuel tank out and empty of old e85, replace the fuel lines, rewire the externals and make sure the intank pump is ok

Check the dash loom and possibly put the spare one in, unpin the haltech ps1000 loom and pull it through the firewall.

Might get the factory loom back on the engine and maybe buy a battery so I can test the cars wiring works.

Will have to wait to wire in the speeduino till I move house and unpack. But will get the car back together and do that last

Still heaps of Dynamat Tar to remove as well :s 

20200605_144210.jpg

Pulled the seats and carpet out to inspect the wiring further, managed to remove some of the sound deadening dynamat tar in the boot as well

Ripped out the haltech loom (had to cut a couple of plugs off as they wouldnt unpin) and its other bits, pulled out the extra relays in the engine bay and the 2nd headlight loom. Unwrapped the alternator wiring which ill need to rewrap

Rvr loom is in so need to work out how that will be run with the GSR dash loom, might grab some plugs or a loom from a GLXI lancer to use

Found the positive wires from the fuse box which have been butchered so will get a new battery loom, might grab another fuse box as well

Dash loom seems salvagable so will leave the one in the car for now, the spare one has been good for reference. Still need to plug heaps back in,  and then get power on to test.

Waterblasted/degreased the engine bay as much as I could

Car is now on stands and has the fuel tank and rear cradle coming out,  rear calipers are seized so will get seal kits for them along with Braided lines 

The aftermarket alloy pipe fuel line isnt the best job so may need to replace it, ill try to tidy it up/unkink it first though

Abs sensors need a clean up as well

Will be doing some underbody cleanup and then reseal it

Heading to the wreckers tomorrow  morning for a few parts (list keeps getting longer) and then will take more pics at the car

Will reuse some of the relays from the dodgy wiring 

Ordered a release bearing, and have an Amayama order to go pending on tomorrows part mission

received_183045789751255.jpeg

received_1325051644358216.jpeg

received_1380986712099148.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Nit a huge update and no pics this time, will go back to work on it Sat as I need to get it rolling again as I may be going to QLD for work and need to mkve it to the new house.

Fixed almost all the wiring in the engine bay, have brought an evo 3 engine loom in Auckland which is going to my parents then being shipped to me

Also picked up a n/a 4g93 auto ecu, auto computer and loom for cheap as it will help me work out the wiper motor loom and whats missing off that etc plus a few other plugs.

Need to plug everything  behind the dash back in and check the factory fuel pump will prime off the key but think most of its sorted. 

May try get an RVR ecu, my speeduinos are in storage and impossible to find along with my wide band, found the knocklink though so thats a plus

One of the aftermarket hardlines was kinked with a pin hole so need to replace that, I may just hook up the factory fuel lines again for now though

So after much swearing, and me putting engine mounts on upside down. We got the engine and gearbox in (no clutch) and the car rolling with all the parts either reinstall or inside it

Need to reinstall the turbo wastegate 

20200620_164627.thumb.jpg.6d312ed9082dd8a9350a68665f2b8534.jpg

Whole thing was a pain in the ass, also slightly fustrated with my mate who pulled the rear cradle and fuel tank out but didnt actually fix anything

But at least its rolling so can be moved on the 17/18th July

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So small update

Moving house next week, so will be getting this picked up by a flatbed tow truck and dropped off so I dont have to mess around with a car trailer and two narrow driveways

Ordered every single suspension bush superpro has for it so will have fun installing them, also got an aeroflow engine support bar so I can get the gearbox in and out easier

Have a few other parts to order/already on the way

New updates to come when I move, as ill need to get some more tools as well

Parents are shipping me the genuine evo loom next week so hoping to have that before the end of July

I am also thinking about going over the aftermarket Haltech loom and seeing if I can make it useable again so that I have other ecu options

Just ordered 1.4k of bits from Amyama, few spares for the front end. And a whole heap of other parts, also got a factory steering wheel on the way locally. Looking at evo 7 seats next Friday if I am allowed.

Have factory suspension, guard liners, rear seatbelt buckles and a factory airbox im trying to sort from QLD

Will do another run to the wreckers for some other spares soon as well

Got a few things to sort now, im in the new house, moving another truck load tomorrow plus getting stuff from my mates

Cars being moved Sunday 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for parts, need to go buy a welder to start repairs

Amyama has refunded me some money as some parts are no longer available, so guess ill be going to the wrecker for a spares.

Snapped an m12 Allen key bolt holding one of the callipers on so have ordered a replacement, front rh ballpoint was dead so have ordered a new set along with new tiered ends.

Front bearing has play without the cv in, hoping it'll be fine when all back together otherwise it'll be new bearings for the front as well. Also ordered new rack and cv boots as I noticed one of mine is split, I may need to rebuild the rear cvs so see how they are once I pull the boots off

Starting to pull together a patch loom for the teensy powered speeduino I have but its really rough atm.

While im at the wreckers (not sure when im going yet) ill probably grab all the fuel lines, carbon canister and emissions stuff.

Brought some rust converter etc to start cleaning up the boot and chassis ready for any weilding, going to get some bitumen based underseal and some chassis black paint for the undercarriage and suspension arms/diff cradle. Already straightened the Jack points at the back 

Diff cradle has a crack in the mounts so need to repair that as well, going to look at 180amp unimigs Migs this weekend (might get a tig later) and a 3hp 150L 12cfm fad 14cfm conpressor

• 2 weeks later...

Just organised to buy another factory loom for my project car think I have a problem 

Means ill have 

1x uncut RVR loom (came with engine) 

1x Cut Haltech ps1000 loom, came with car

1x GLXI sohc auto 4g92 loom 

1x unknown loom that came with the genuine evo loom 

1x genuine evo 123 loom in ok condition 

Now looking at a good condition GSR 4g93t loom 

Just tried fitting the genuine evo loom and it may be challenging :s 

Probably spent enough to build a new loom from scratch but getting a rwc with one is not easy :(

Also have had a few parts arrive, rear brakes are partly stripped for rebuild this weekend

Also discovered the rear brake lines are braided already so the braided line kit I brought was not required :s

• Like 1

received_3673507139344494.thumb.jpeg.1cffc555cd232a52a926f2561f578d7b.jpegreceived_3353573814682260.thumb.jpeg.7d21c6ed0888bd989b251da96cad4a7d.jpegStarted doing the rear tyre well rust work, wire wheeled the shit out of it, blew all the dust of with compressed airand put some rust convert on it. Will weld up the holes/pin holes this weekend all going well, then chuck some paint over it till I repaint the whole boot.

Will wire wheel the whole boot before I prep it for paint, car was advised as no rust lol, its a 90s mitsi its not does it have rust its where does it have rust. Will need to do the under body as well, have gotten 4l of chassis black underseal and some subframe paint 

Waiting on my 20ton press to do bushings, balljoints etc, brought a unimig 185 and a Fendi 14cfm compressor 12cfm fad so should be ok for basic painting when I get some guns

Have new tie rods as well so they will be fun to change

Hands are sore tonight :(

• Like 3

Decided to pull the other knuckle off and removed the lower control arms and steering rack etc

Managed to not snap the allen key bolt on this side removing the big calipers and floating rotors (god they are heavy)

117195077_647108775911583_6793545372713345828_n.thumb.jpg.55455473a4916613a580af385c5f6a5d.jpg

Couldn't get the ball joint or tie rod end to separate from the knuckle

116835712_3007817302678275_5346217189578968352_n.jpg

Ended up cutting the tie rod end off, will put the knuckle in my 20ton press to remove the ball joint and tie rod end

116886834_715060752682009_2090460769353045274_n.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to get the lower control arms and sub-frame out, discovered it already had whiteline offset caster bushes installed, seems all the superpro bushings I brought will be spares now :s

Will give everything a good clean and then a coat of subframe black paint

117445127_752377145495662_6474112315765920_n.thumb.jpg.c6632801474fb76e62c5f06e783e7e33.jpg116798480_298782088001654_5905881106871021522_n.thumb.jpg.65e533ba9c43aedeb1184f7fc5304883.jpg