What's this on the side of my sump

Flash

I was crawling around under my Toyota HiAce donor van this morning and noticed a strange looking plate bolted to the side of the sump. Looks like it has two electrical wires sticking out of it that have been cut off.

Pic below.

Anyone know what this is ?

20200404_082657.jpg

Thanks for solving the mystery Sheepers.

First time I've encountered one of these. Luckily the sump on my mock-up engine doesn't have this so I'll swap the sumps over and get rid of it. Looks like I could do with a new sump gasket anyway and would be good to give the bottom end a bit of an eye over at the same time. 

Bryan, the dipstick is about the only thing I can get to with the 4Y fitted in the Thames LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Typically these dont run a sump gasket either... just good poos on there and away ya go. Goood tip is to panel beat the bolt holes flat before you re-seal as they tend to sit high and not allow the pan to sit flat properly agaisnt block... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzed said:

Typically these dont run a sump gasket either... just good poos on there and away ya go. Goood tip is to panel beat the bolt holes flat before you re-seal as they tend to sit high and not allow the pan to sit flat properly agaisnt block... 

Thanks for the tip nzed. Appreciate you sharing this. I'm a total noob when it comes to all things Toyota.