Flash

Non cross-flow motors - what is out there ?

In my opinion trying to widen the box will compromise the current seating arrangements as these old vehicles aren't very wide. I also need to shoehorn the radiator into the same space or risk compromising the state of the art cabin ventilation system which consists of a hinged flap in the floor that picks up fresh air as it enters the chute leading to the radiator. It works surprisingly well.

20190209_174505.jpg

20190209_174449.jpg

• Like 1

Third consideration is that I want to retain a manual gearbox with a column shift. Anything else would compromise the look that I am trying to retain. Current column shift selector looks like so.

20190209_174424.jpg

• Like 2

love the ventilation system! Couple more pics I found of the 2.0 EB engine. This is the Focus ST version, with alternative alternator mounting. Might just fit in that box?!

https://fordstnation.com/member-chad-albums-focus-st-2-0l-ecoboost-engine-picture2110-ford-focus-st-ecoboost-engine-14.html

edit: just saw your post re column shift, that would make this engine (and many more) super difficult to achieve! You will almost certainly need to make a custom cable operated shift mechanism to mate with whatever gearbox you decide to fit.   

M-6007-20T.jpg

I also have the gearbox for the 2y, it has side shift levers so it lends itself to a column shift setup. The engine came out of a dyna, but I have the same engine in my townace ute which is quite small. Plus I have the driveshaft etc.

The townace is no rocketship but it gets along ok. It is pretty low tech compared to some options, but this is probably a benefit in my book.

Edit, I can take pics and measurements, pm me if you are interested.

10 hours ago, browndog said:

love the ventilation system! Couple more pics I found of the 2.0 EB engine. This is the Focus ST version, with alternative alternator mounting. Might just fit in that box?!

https://fordstnation.com/member-chad-albums-focus-st-2-0l-ecoboost-engine-picture2110-ford-focus-st-ecoboost-engine-14.html

edit: just saw your post re column shift, that would make this engine (and many more) super difficult to achieve! You will almost certainly need to make a custom cable operated shift mechanism to mate with whatever gearbox you decide to fit.   

M-6007-20T.jpg

Yep, I've seen a few attempts at adapting selectors on standard gearboxes and getting one to shift reliably is way above my capabilities. The Toyota Hiace and Ford Econoline / Mazda Bongo vans did come out with a column shift 5 speed option which makes this option really attractive. I'm led to understand that the Ford / Mazda will mate to an FE motor and the Toyota box gives you a number of Toyota engine options.