Kimjon's Subaru drift trike

Kimjon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front forks sorted. I welded on angle iron cut to size. A 12mm threaded rod will be the axle...it will hold bmx pegs, the wheel and spacers etc.

Screenshot_2018-05-15-16-00-40.thumb.png.c521232a719449e5f6238a5b7efc14e5.png

It was a bit of dicking around to get it all square. But it's done now.

Then the motor on the other one got some attention. I try new things each time, not because it's a better idea...more, because I can. I guess it's a learning opportunity and it stops these projects all becoming the same.

2967.thumb.jpeg.e8f4ab51f99c2920fa60a25e8c6d73e6.jpeg

I am going to mount the fuel tank lower than the carburetor. This is a problem for a gravity feed carb...solution - install a fuel (pulse) pump in line. I made this sexy bracket after a bit of thought and things seam to be falling into order.

Found a port to take "pulse" from to power the diaphragm pump. To test I put a small balloon over the port...turned over motor and watched what happened?

3002.thumb.jpeg.9bec5684f50cbca2beeb4ae359424d6b.jpeg

3005.thumb.jpeg.cec1600ba43e8d6617f0ab2a6cafcc15.jpeg

Success!!!

3001.thumb.jpeg.ee379b850d4ca047400fed85c4fa717f.jpeg

Line hooked up. This may get swapped out as I have concerns over it sucking itself tight...and that doesn't sound much fun to anyone:)

Mil-spec. 

I think I sniped you on an auction today. Lobbed a snipe bid on some broken down POS on trademe, and noticed a similar handle to yours as the only other bidder. That you? Red trike broken rear wheel (and unattached pedal it turns out when I went to pick it up tonight)... 

32 minutes ago, KP_wag said:

Mil-spec. 

I think I sniped you on an auction today. Lobbed a snipe bid on some broken down POS on trademe, and noticed a similar handle to yours as the only other bidder. That you? Red trike broken rear wheel (and unattached pedal it turns out when I went to pick it up tonight)... 

Haha...nice one. All's fair on trademe.

Glad it got snapped up by someone who will put it to good use.

Be interesting to see what you come up with? 

This will need to be a back burner project, as trying to concentrate on getting the ute done - though can't say I've ever been very successful on 'do it at a leisurely pace' projects... 

Your thing needs an ammo box or olive drab jerry can incorporated somewhere - new gas tank!? 

unnamed.png

• Like 1

Yes...yes it does:)

I actually went to an army surplus store and brought a canteen, ammo box and a little folding shovel "to accessorize" it...but in the end I didn't end up using them. I couldn't help thinking it was getting a bit like OCC (Orange County Choppers) where they weld all sorts of shit to an awfully proportioned chopper.

• Like 1

Couple more pics...

3014.thumb.jpeg.384fc434c6696ccaa96fc43e13815478.jpeg

3012.thumb.jpeg.351e8ed0a39860624857e57496da3449.jpeg

I flared the seat out around the top edge. It's a bit rough...but rough enough.

I've ordered a few ebay decals to dress it up a little more. And a fake personalised plate from trademe. But really...hook up the cables, plumb the fuel lines, install a return inlet to the fuel tank...and call it a day. Oh maybe do a few skids too!

• Like 2

Brakes = yes

3034.thumb.jpeg.b1b748ba3556f9e2d0e58620880d2b6a.jpeg

Throttle = yes

3042.thumb.jpeg.e634125a85325da492c7bf4303dbf403.jpeg

Kill switch = yes

3039.thumb.jpeg.3b05ec40c05937c412d4080759c72479.jpeg

Only thing holding it back are some pvc sleeves for the wheels and some 3/16" fuel line. Then it should be ready to get sideways!

3030.thumb.jpeg.2b14d45ec25fe520999d38f73dcfdc43.jpeg

Booyah soldier....boo fucking yah!!!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Have you got the sleeves on it? Or its just loose in the wet. My boy is super keen on one so am i.

Sleeves. If anything it' gripping more in the wet.

It' got a snappy motor on it..I'm been a pussy as I don't want to wreck it before giving it to Naomi tomorrow.

I took the clutch apart, then cut about 3 coils off the spring loop inside...then reassembled. It' raised the engagement rpm higher. This helps a lot for throttle response and aids in getting a better idle without rubbing the clutch all the time.

From that ride...I can tell it' going to be fun:)