Kimjon's Subaru drift trike

Kimjon

Started eyeing up some shitter BMXs on TM to chop up, but the front frame section looks kinda fit for purpose on those trikes. Do you use cut down bikes for the front tube or piece together some mandrel bends? Re motors, can gears be done or not worth the ball ache? 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, KP_wag said:

Started eyeing up some shitter BMXs on TM to chop up, but the front frame section looks kinda fit for purpose on those trikes. Do you use cut down bikes for the front tube or piece together some mandrel bends? Re motors, can gears be done or not worth the ball ache? 

Anything is possible. To make life easy, look at drift trikes on trademe...you can normally pick one up for less than $50.

A bmx will work, just involves more work and won't look as clean.

Gears are fine, but not necessary. 

Now a limp cardboard C&B isn't any use to anyone, so if you hadn't guessed...time to get some steel out :-)

IMG_20180422_125729.thumb.jpg.d869d8d9bca5d7ec8f8c7d338f97668d.jpg

And all done. Needs 2x spacers to centre caliper...but they're still making M6 washers I think?

IMG_20180422_140336.thumb.jpg.0f39b724d55572dd83b36b7ff157ad94.jpg

I'm pretty happy with that. Cost nothing but time and using left over miscellaneous bits from wrecked shit I brought for cheap on trademe mainly to get the motors out of for other projects.

• Like 5

Righto, managed to pick up a larger sprocket and chain for free...best day ever!

IMG_20180425_130300.thumb.jpg.7bd150211abad77d4dd994ef8787d489.jpg

I machined up this retainer. Then installed the chain and bigger sprocket.

IMG_20180425_132318.thumb.jpg.63d74f43ede630f5ebe5e11bb691e6c7.jpg

And buy installed...I mean, it went straight on! Like as in no fucking around, bolt holes all lined up, the chain was already the perfect size...truly a one in a million chance of that happening.

• Like 3

Engine mount done.

20180506_154901.thumb.jpg.3226e59ec7ec2cbe49c97b0451ad367c.jpg

Believe it or not...I've got no M8 bolts. These are only the most commonplace bolt there is, but I'm out! So my fancy hubs can only sit by the wheels for now, as I have nothing to bolt them with.

Anyway I feel like I made some decent progess on this today.

• Like 2

Looking good man, what kinda high performance engine you got to push that next one along? Also, how does the clutch work in those things? Im assuming some kinda off the shelf auto thing but where do you appropriate from?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KP_wag said:

Looking good man, what kinda high performance engine you got to push that next one along? Also, how does the clutch work in those things? Im assuming some kinda off the shelf auto thing but where do you appropriate from?

I'm using honda gx160 and/or gx200 motors. The clones are just as good...and cheaper too. Clutch is basic centrifugal clutch off ebay, delivery is free and they are about $40 give or take.

My general rule is to buy what's cheap at the time and work around whatever that is. These have cost very little due to a few good scores from swap meets and trademe. 

41 minutes ago, KP_wag said:

Nice work, gonna put hot pipes on this one? Also nice stand grinder and linnisher, and ridic tall man's bike... Is that for when the floods come? 

Haha..."tall bikes will save the world"

Thinking of doing something for the exhaust. Trying to keep them simple but stylish. However I always tend to go a bit over the top in the last stages...call it ocd?

8 hours ago, KP_wag said:

Tasteful tuned length chinese pipes sounds worth it. How fast you been on the tall bike? Bet it's a long way down in the corners

It rides just like a normal(ish) bike once you're on it and moving. Even slow speed is easy, you tend to forget you are on a tall bike.

The only thing to watch out for is going uphill where the front can lift. When you stomp down to power up a hill...if and when the front lifts...it's flips real quick! Any more than about 200mm of front wheel lift off the ground and you be in trouble as the leverage is positioned much further back and higher than normal.

Good news is if it does flip you tend to just pop backwards and land on your feet while still holding the bikes handlebars.

I'd say it was well worth the half a day to make it:)

• Like 3