LT 250 Quadrunner restore

NVMPAJ

I picked up this Quad , I think it's a 95 , hopefully I can decipher the VIN and work out the year.

cost so far purchase price ...$50 ( yes you read right ) 

.                   Battery $100 installed and tested

Muffler $25 cheapie off "Wish" ( waiting on delivery )

Air filter cap $10 ( coming soon)

Air filter         $25 ( somewhere in transit)

Oil and filter $50 ( installed ) but will need to change again as clutch slip will happen apparently if I use 10w 40 car oil !!

just thought I'd add the extra costs to the list

Fuel Pump $16 

Carb rebuild kit $35

Rear axle universal $50

CV boots $25 ( didn't use)

Donor Quad $250 ........have enough bits to build another .....less plastics and frame

heres a short video , got it going after a quick repair of the starter motor . Have got a selection of steel to repair the rusty frame , I found a good one on TM , but I refuse to pay nearly $200 freight . 

https://www.facebook.com/JimBoyd59/posts/10209691409740304

Edited by NVMPAJ
Update on costs
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/12/2017 at 16:25, NVMPAJ said:

Oil and filter $50 ( installed ) but will need to change again as clutch slip will happen apparently if I use 10w 40 car oil !!

Diesel oil doesn't have friction modifiers in it so is a cheap solution.

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/caltex-super-diesel-engine-oil-15w-40-4l/R2040015.html#q=diesel+oil&start=1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went for a ride today , after spending time trying to start the bloody thing . Has spark , but I'm thinking the carb needs work , cos I find that if I pump fuel in with a syringe it'll start , and idle fine . There's a vacuum operated fuel pump that works , but fuel just doesn't seem to get to the spark plug! But hey it's close to be ready for those fishing trips . ( that's the next learning curve)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to take the pump apart , gave a clean , put it back together . Started her up  went for a quick disturb the neighbours ride. Went well . Left it for awhile and started again , the big test is when I'm back in a couple of weeks . Fingers crossed . Hopefully the fuel pump turns up . Got a front CV to fix plus both boots. A little welding and then I'll see what I can do about the mudguards 

• 2 weeks later...

mean. quite getting into my ultilitarian type atvs at the moment. 

currently got an old YTM200E that I like to bat around the place wearing shorts and hiking boots. loves wheelies and hates turning on ashphalt/hard surfaces/at all if you have people on the back. good fun to slide around gravel backroads

cheap fun. owes me $200 haha. 

my brother used to have a 300 king quad, about 1996 vintage. gearing was amazing for some road work (95-100kph on teh speedo) but took forever to get there. I always found it unstable too with all the weight at the back and IRS. bro has pics of it rolling down the side of the ruahine ranges with a spiker strapped to the front and a fallow on the back. hmm. 

• Like 1

20170424_125857.thumb.jpg.6f1867cbf271c71bd659fc9dca0c4f13.jpgHere's the parts quad before the strip down . It even turned over after years in the paddock rotting away . Have scored CV joints , all plastics , engine (300cc) , Speedo cable , wheels and tyres and various other bits . 

• Like 2

Do you have any recommendations for a supplier for quad tires? Too many burnouts means I really need a set for mine so 22x8.00-10 and 25x12.00-10. Im quite surprised how much they cost on Trademe and there doesnt seem to be too many wreckers selling reasonable second hand ones. Cheers