Shuddering guidance req.

kseries.rookie

Hello online mechanic friends..

Wonder if anyone has come across this problem before, and if so - what was done to resolve.

Car: 1996 Rav4

Transmission: Automatic

Problem:

When turning left there is a thud/donk/knock noise coming from the left rear side (from what it feels like from the drivers seat).

It's a rotational sound, it's not at random.

Also when travelling faster than 80kms there is a slight shudder coming from the rear diff but as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator the wobble disppears.

What I have done:

Replaced the diff oil with proper AWD diff oil supplied by Toyota - No change.

I can see by looking underneath that the rear diff mount has been replaced at some stage.

If you were to hazard a guess, what do you guys/gals think?

Clearly a blown head gasket eh?

• Like 1

was going to say... rear diff mounts are always the first thing on these to go. I poozed mine up with window silicone and it did the trick fine. There are two mounts though - one which is super easy to get to from the rear of the diff, and then there's the carrier mount which requires the dropping of the subframe to remove. You should be able to grab the diff and move it around to check for play anyway - maybe even use a pry bar on the front. 

I grabbed and shook everything I was able to grab but didn't get any movement.
I'll look for the 2nd mount (had heard there was a common issue with these going but didn't realise there was two mounts) and have a look there, as well as the strut mount, as well as the UJ.
Awesome, thanks guys - keep the suggestions coming.

I might strap a gopro under there and go for a drive to see if I can physically see anything