Daves new school holden shambles. (And finally a Turbo)

Muncie

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

Spool noises this coming week hopefully. So I can drive it on ramps and build intercooler pipes.

When I did my rb25 neo conversion on the old R32 (running afm just before throttle body) I had an intercooler pipe pop off and was running N/A without knowing for alittle

Made all the right noises but no boost/power haha, keen to hear how this goes with intake/spoolyboil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Decided these alloy powder coated intercooler pipes that came with kit are mostly useless big radius bends and some have been butchered and are paper thin so won't fit in 99% percent of gaps im going to need to squeeze through, Bugger it stainless it is have ordered bends of Aliexpress found to be pretty good quality so far. V band for downpipe and some 3" straight for intercooler bought locally. 

• Like 4

Did last of wiring to get running tonight 

Kicked it in guts crank no start kept cranking got fault code no crank signal did the Nintendo terminal check undid ignition module blew on it tried again, sputtered and coughed out intake fuck firing order out fixed that.

Cranks mint splutters runs for 4 seconds dies massive clouds of black smoke.

So she's way to rich I was hoping for a start before reflashing to take one variable out in case it won't start.

So let's build a base map in bed Iater tonight was given one that has correct specs but turns out isn't compatible with my ecu.

will copy over the injector info into my current map flash in and try again on weekend. 

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

Did last of wiring to get running tonight 

Kicked it in guts crank no start kept cranking got fault code no crank signal did the Nintendo terminal check undid ignition module blew on it tried again, sputtered and coughed out intake fuck firing order out fixed that.

Cranks mint splutters runs for 4 seconds dies massive clouds of black smoke.

So she's way to rich I was hoping for a start before reflashing to take one variable out in case it won't start.

So let's build a base map in bed Iater tonight was given one that has correct specs but turns out isn't compatible with my ecu.

will copy over the injector info into my current map flash in and try again on weekend. 

Shouldnt factory base map off load/boost be ok? surely turbo/intercooler/piping shouldnt change things too much ?

Couldn't wait changed an old map I used at drag day then tweaked the injector flowrate using an online calculator. Measured in Ms/gram very confusing for me....

Flashed a good Bin file in then flashed the Calibration on top and bugger me it fired straight up! Let it run for 30 seconds that'll do it's really loud! Don't want to piss neighbours off after dark local pukekos were losing their shit.

And im unsure if my turbo was getting oil so will confirm tmrw then do a video after checking if anything is resting on exhaust.

Fuck yeah!!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, shrike said:

Shouldnt factory base map off load/boost be ok? surely turbo/intercooler/piping shouldnt change things too much ?

Yeah the airflow meter is at throttle body so no dramas there. Turbos just hanging out blowing leaves off driveway at moment.

• Haha 1

Did some more stuff on this today got it to a point it it runs and drives ok few gremlins to chase is still horrendously rich and idles like a sprint car. I've got a 1500rpm idle so could be an IAC valve fault (likely) It shot its plunger across garage, or a vacuum leak.

Intercooler pipework no easy route unless I cut holes in Bodywork then it's piss easy but battery has to go elsewhere.

Exhaust into rest of system 2-3 bends and a v band shouldn't be too hard 89mm V bands are ridiculously huge how to not warp that.....

Some more wiring and a bit of a road tuning session should be a happening thing.

Jeeze it sounds like a fighter jet though very happy turbo takes about 30sec to wind down when you turn it off.

• Like 3

Kind of win/lose situation fitting the crossover pipe low in engine bay it allows heat to piss off under car, but it's complicated the intercooler pipes. Have heard horror overheating stories from most that run them higher so happy with the compromise.

Made up a stainless lower radiator pipe today with intention to put some fittings In to water cool the turbo. Its quite close to the crossover pipe so should help it survive down there.

As for the intercooler pipes I think if I squeeze pipe oval may squeeze under headlights. Could be wrong will see.

IMG_20240505_191319_(1080_x_1080_pixel).thumb.jpg.ae550464d1ff530336994c25ccc5d1ce.jpg

• Like 5

Another go at the fueling realised had base pressure wrong when I calculated it.... Re ran the calculation made very little difference to ms/g like 01ms so fudged it bumped it down 5ms.

While i was In there I toggled off the EGR and set it run off a single narrowband sensor which I think I'll re fit next to the wideband as it's only 12 months old and car runs nice on these. 

Started up no longer stinks of fuel and started much easier. Now to let the car get up to temp and let the trims sort the rest out think im in ball park now.

Also figured out a definition file glitch which was stopping me reading  data on Tunerpro could flash in fine but information coming in was wildly inaccurate 28000rpm 1200c on inlet air temp.

Pft

IMG_20240506_171422_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

Somehow found some room to sneak 3 inch tubing between radiator subframe and chassis rail. Snug fit but wiggles in piece of cake if I move the power steering cooler lines 30 mm to passengers side this doesn't really cause any issues but they could be moved completely with some flexible hose, so will do that at a later date.

Passengers side is easy not much in way I could even possibly sneak inside chassis rail like this.

IMG_20240509_182602_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240509_182623_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 6

Pic Dump time.

Drivers side intercooler pipework done check bumper fits and looks good some trimming needed but should only need to be trimmed on bottom lip and will have a good amount of VL INTERCOOLER stick out.

IMG_20240511_141258_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240511_141241_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240511_141315_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fitted a Narrow band o2 sensor to keep the ecu happy and see if once up to temp it would trim back the A/F ratio on its own. Short answer was yes it will but not far enough, so pulled more fuel from tune and it now idles at 14.7:1 Close enough.

Cold start tables are so far off its not funny its so rich it struggles to run pulled more fuel there slightly better. Once it kicks over it runs mint and is pretty snappy. Have had it up to temp and been for a quick drive turbo is loud and spins up at about 2400rpm.

IMG_20240511_141322_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

Exhaust chopped back to just behind the trans pipe off turbo has had a few more kinks put in it to worm down past steering rack and is in a good spot to build off now.

Going to focus on Exhaust hooking that all back up before passengers side intercooler pipe as its a bit loud and I'm waiting on some silicone parts to finish intercooler stuff.

IMG_20240511_142645_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

To finish up the intercooler pipework I need to cut the inner guard theres no where else to bring it through nicely.

There is already 3 large factory holes so will just cut between those will leave a good size opening. Makes for a piss easy path for pipe.

IMG_20240511_143653_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

@Roman I ended up basically done then decided to tuck them in closer as they would have stuck out bottom of bumper. passengers still to do but way easier as im coming up through inner guard. Drivers took about 3 hours.

Good drop saw makes light work of nice square cuts that you can just fizz together.

Not many silicone joiners in it either. 

Exhaust...... today just wasn't feeling up for that challenge my welding was shit today.

• Like 3