Radiator on slight angle?

spiderwebfx

Is it ok to have the radiator sitting on a slight angle towards the front of the car?  Planning on doing a midmount with the intercooler, but unless I find a radiator hose that goes backwards, it won't work.  So I'm contemplating putting the intercooler on an angle so the top is under the radiator support panel, and then have the top of the radiator right behind it.  Means the radiator will be on a 10 degree angle or so.

Open to opinions for other ideas as well.

The radiator on the RX-7 is on an angle because it technically increases the width of the radiator without actually making the radiator bigger.

82ba212d3a8066bcb596ce7a63395da5_zpswnkb

The effective width is still 100mm in any case, because the fins in the radiator still run perpendicular rather than sloped. There's still the same surface area of fins cooling the same volume of water.

I'd say it's more about fitting a bigger radiator while keeping that nice low bonnet line that RX7s have.

I've seen some racecars that have the radiator mounted down flat, with ductnig to push air through.

I'd say any angle is fine so long as you're getting air through it, and you can bleed the coolant.

• Like 8

The effective width is still 100mm in any case, because the fins in the radiator still run perpendicular rather than sloped. There's still the same surface area of fins cooling the same volume of water.

I'd say it's more about fitting a bigger radiator while keeping that nice low bonnet line that RX7s have.

I've seen some racecars that have the radiator mounted down flat, with ductnig to push air through.

I'd say any angle is fine so long as you're getting air through it, and you can bleed the coolant.

This is probably true. However if my idea was right it would be awesome. And I had pictures.

• Like 5