How to make a new panel to fit here?

Guypie

I want to start on repairing this panel in the Oxford, but I am not quite sure how to go about removing the ends of the old panel. it looks like they were just butt welded to the upright bit along the edge. Chopping it out will be easy enough, just wanting to know the best way to fit the new steel. Its also to tell how it was done originally due to how corroded the remains are.

OoGVv3I.jpg

N5q006C.jpg

LKhgG5J.jpg

Cheers

Guy

• Like 1

if it was me i wouldn't cut through the apex of the bends. id cut either just behind the bend on the flat or cut in on the vertical bits so the bend stays behind. its really hard to get the new piece in the right place if your reference point was the middle of a bend but its gone now because the cut off wheel dissolved it. 

bit hard to explain but i wouldn't cut on the apex is all. 

• Like 5

do it really slowly.

make a tool like a piece of round bar with a slot cut in the end to the correct depth or something and just go back and forwards bending it a tiny bit at a time. like you can even tell if your bending it or not.

eventually it will roll down then you can crush the wrinkles with a rawhide mallet and a dolly.

there's a really good thread on retro rides about lots of panel making techniques, the guy's name is Steve. sorry i don't know the name of the thread but its not difficult to find. 

this thread? http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/70135?page=1

I have been reading through it.

The problem is he goes "just do this" *magic happens* and a perfect panel is made.

Then I try it "it said do this" *cock up happens* and the wobbliest panel known to man is born. And it probably took 2 hour to make.

but I guess that's learning, and I'm still having fun so all is well. Can be a bit intimidating to start off with though.

• Like 2