Trusty old trumpy won't go..

2sik25

So I went for a short drive I'm my triumph the other night, wasn't far at all when it starts coughing and spluttering under practically no load while cruising, came right again if I kept my foot up it but the lawman wouldn't approve of this and it's about comfort not speed right, anyway, when I reach my destination I leave it running and quickly nip inside, I come back to it no more than two minutes later and it's dead...... Try to start but run the battery flat in the process, I think it might be fuel but I have only ever had ke corollas so don't even know where to start, it's a 2000tc so we know what we're diagnosing, any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Check if you're getting a good spark at any of the leads.

Check if you have fuel in the glass fuel filter on side of block with dizzy on it.

Check your points, condenser and timing.

Will be something simple. Trumps will only stop running if the put a conrod through the block. Hah.

• Like 2

Sweet, when it finally stops raining and I make it to where I've left it I'll run through the order, strangest part is that it was running like a clock until it just decided to run like two sacks of shit..

It was running fine, only while cruising was it being an ass, and it had been running perfectly until then, got me miffed, I've been told the carbs in these can be extremely temperamental but I've never owned one before so haven't got any past experience to go by

yeah nah if I was me i wouldn't think it's a carb problem. you have two of them and hopefully a fuel filter so surely it wouldn't just get the aids that quickly. 

will it fire up now? what happens if you pop the fuel cap off? 

my thoughts is closed up points and/or fucked condensor. 

With the other guys on ignition issues.

Check ignition fuse too.

I'd be following the ignition diagnosis though, as suggested look at some cheap as replacements, points, condenser etc, maybe check for any hairline fractures in the dizzy cap in case of moisture.

Carbys have to be pretty fkn dirty for it to be a problem there..

• Like 1

So after a day of diagnosing, we've worked out it has weak as piss spark and is in need of a little bit of tlc so I'll do all the electrical bits and pieces involved with the ignition and see where we go from there, I'm extremely lucky my brother in law is an auto sparky I'd hate to have to actually pay someone for their time with this, thanks for the input lads I'll keep you posted as to how I get on

• Like 2

Sounds good man, glad you're on top of it.

I would consider replacing the whole unit and coil. It's so cheap to do, $250 and you're set with an electronic ignition. You'll get better idle and rev out of it too.

If you're sticking with points and condensor, fit two condensors in parallel.

Modern condensors are cheap-as-shit Chinese made rubbish which fails easily, fit two and the failure problem goes away......

We used this mod on the FIA Historic race cars that had to run 'original' ignition systems, and never had another problem. :)

• Like 2

so after a day of chopping and changing and playing with various new ignition related parts, a new coil , distributor cap and leads, it seems to be going well, or better than not at all, it had lunched the black wire inside the electronic dizzy and had next to no spark, bits i replaced were part of the diagnosing process coupled with peace of mind in not having to go there again for a while, i also fixed a bunch  of leaky/perishing fuel lines, none of which had hose clamps on so am almost a little glad it broke! but all in all im glad the old trumpy is back in action and hope i dont break it in the near future, thanks all for your input im pretty sure id still be scrtching my head without it