Clutch reccomendations for weekend/track car

Roman

Hey guys,

Looking for some reccomendations on clutch options.
3SGE + 6 speed.

I want something that drives like a normal clutch, but is more resistant to heat and high load situations.
(Lots of trackday high rpm gear shifts, b-owts, launches at the drags etc)

Requirements:

-Preferably a full faced, sprung disk.

-Resistant to the heat of lots of trackday gear changes and the odd launch at the drags.

-Reuse TODA flywheel rather than buying whole new system if possible

-Preferably not noisy for normal driving (Otherwise ORG single plate would be ideal)

Previous experience:

-Full faced no name standard clutch lasted 10,000km but then finally gave up mid way through a trackday.
I havent pulled it out to check what's wrong but I suspect that the friction material just shit a brick from the heat from lots of 8000rpm shifts.
-A mis-shift (by someone else) caused the springs to explode out of an exedy 5 puck, had cracks all over the metal centre of the disc.
It was also mildly annoying to drive 'normally' with.

Thoughts/experience? 

People have reccomended Exedy options but it's hard to tell what's junk/same as what I've had or what will actually withstand heat etc.
Wasnt overly impressed with Exedy 5 puck in the past.
Anyone used TODA stuff? Thinking I could get the cover and disk to match the flywheel, as presumably it's a bit gruntier than standard.
But it's a bit spendy. It seems like the difference I'm after just comes down to quality of friction material.

Which makes it impossible to know what's actually good or not.

kevlar lining on sprung drive plate with heavy duty pressure plate should answer your question , pretty sure you can get one built to suit , Hi Tech brake and clutch should be able to make you something in Auckland or MP autoparts in wellington , I have used both over the years and would use either again :-) I havent used Toda stuff but their reputation seems good (although I like having local backup , hence my suggestions)

• Like 1

kevlar lining on sprung drive plate with heavy duty pressure plate should answer your question

Autoclutch in morningside built me something similar for my 1jz, gave them my whole clutch and flywheel, they rebuilt it all and did a full face kevlar plate to suit + loads more clamp on the cover. Worked great, can't say a bad word about those guys

Autoclutch in morningside built me something similar for my 1jz, gave them my whole clutch and flywheel, they rebuilt it all and did a full face kevlar plate to suit + loads more clamp on the cover. Worked great, can't say a bad word about those guys

have used several clutches from these guys and happy with them.

6 puk kevlar one side. Ceramic brass composite shit on the other side with a sprung centre. Can ride like a normal street car clutch in traffic without over heating. From memory i think it should hold 500hp but i spoke to the guy at autoclutch who was very helpfull and he asked for the dyno figures because its the torque thats the killer. Built the pressure plate to suite. Very heavy pedal initially but easy to ride and hold in once you pass a certain point. oh and all on a standard flywheel so i guess that really helps with the heat disapation.

Yeah, my flywheel is a chromoly one which is quite thin and swiss cheesed with holes around the edges.

So not sure if that's better or worse for dissipating heat, I guess it builds heat quicker but stores less as well.

Maybe I need a cooling pipe to my bell housing too haha.