CA18de VS CA18det Identification

My name is Russell

Trying to work out what motor I have. Is proving to be significantly more difficult than expected. 

This is what it came like. Had some fairly dodgy work done on it. 

96hmhs.jpg

But I think it could be an NA motor converted to turbo. 

Reasons being; 

Home made manfold. 

No bottom end oil squirters. 

Can't see O2 plug on loom 

Resistor required in loom for injectors. 

51E on the head. 

Should I be able to tell from a code on the ECU? 

Hoping its just some early turbo odity but the more blues clues i find its not looking likely. 

11qk7so.jpg

2z4jpjm.jpg

taqxdk.jpg

15ewldi.jpg

3133uqv.jpg

15xwo3n.jpg

dcr96p.jpg

xnt7gi.jpg

2lawigz.jpg

Only real difference is compression and oil squirters. Cranks are the same. Pretty sure rods are. Slight changes in cam but not much between ca16de, ca18de, and Det. I think the heads have numbers of 4L and 5L but can't remember. Search on the NICO forums

Internet says 2 Diff things re compression which doesnt help.

a. Rods are what set compression

b. Pistons set compression

Could potentially look up piston part numbers for de and det and if different then that's ya answer.

I did have a link to a site listing al de vs det part numbers, it's a dead link now tho.

You know the other differences but for note:

- crank girdle (some de still had them)

- oil squiretrs (some dets didn't have em)

- compression ratio

- de has beeter inlet cam profile

- sump had turbo return feed on det

- both have turbo oil feed on block but de has blank bolt

- de no water feed in block for turbo

- Diff size + impedance injectors

- 3 wire sensor

- ecu

Oh yeah. Gbox is the same for de and det. Clutch I would assume to be different bit not sure.

I think to be sure you need to rip the head off and cc it... or rip pistons out and find part number. doesn't seem to be any other way to 100% confirm.

You would want to run arp head bolts anyway as this is the weak point of the ca when boost increased.

From what I've seen the DE's have domed top pistons, and the dets roll flat tops. Find a boe with a boreOscope and take a gander down the plug holes. (If you were local, I could have loaned you mine)

don't sweat on the no o2 sensor plug. it's pretty common to delete those when doing a transplant.

The presence of a dropdown resistor tells us it at least has DET injectors. Although that's what you'd expect with a plus T anyway.

That wee tag on the welch plug means it's been rebuilt by a shop. They blow out if the motor gets cooked, and invalidates any rebuild warantee.

The ecus do have different numbers but I can't remember the difference. They are one number out.

I'm pretty sure the cams are the same. It's only the ca16 inlet cam that is different the 18's are the same.

I had a de that had squirters and also a det block that didn't.

Like Bart said . de pistons have a dome and set are flat top.

The top ones look domed to me.

does the scope have an adjustable light?

The light on the scope is absolutely useless. cant see a thing with it on its own.  

The only light was from a blindingly bright LED headlight that was pointed from outside the hole. Need to find a bright LED i can chuck down the hole.