TheAudioDude

If you're going to use that chassis and transformers you'll need to consider what the original output tube was to match the OPT.

Also you'll need a fairly grunty power transformer to run a pair of KT88's in stereo.

kind of looks like it was a 6L6 or EL34 chassis.

That's a very nice surround replacement!

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks JVC's I find are one of the easier ones to fix and are surprisingly good sounding but I'm probably going to run them as rears with my SK-1000s or SK-600s

The plan so far is to run the kt-88s in push pull like the original El37s were except it'll be using the center tap of the output transformer to feedback for a form ultalinear like some Leak and quad amps used. Yes it seems a waste of good tubes but because they are being run so quietly they'll last a long time 

Just general 450v electrolytic's and 630v foil caps for coupling/bypass. 2200uf is a Huge psu reservoir cap if you use a valve rectifier you'll fry it. most amp's are using 20-100uf caps with chokes or resistors in between.

KT88's are even harder to get originals unless you go for new issue ones.

Do you still have the original output tubes still and know what condition they're in? I have an AVO valve tester here you can test them on if you do.

Might be easier to get some reissue KT66's as typically they're designed around a 6K6 OPT, KT88's around a 2K5 OPT.

What reissue KT66's have you tried? Tung Sol any good?

I should give up this Valve stuff and stick to vinyl, tapes, speakers and transistor amps.

• 1 year later...