RX3 PP's Rx3 Coupe

RX3 PP

Mine are savanna tail lights, their were a total of 9 savannas that came into NZ. The NZ new ones had the round lights, Japanese imports had the dog bone style. I only know this as all my parts are of a genuine 75 rx3 savanna NZ new, I brought them off my mate who brought the car from brand new from Amuri Mazda in CHCH. He sold the car and the guy rolled it, and my mate was allowed to retrieve all the interior and exterior, before it was scraped. Had been siting in his garage for at least 25 years.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they have fender mirrors? Sounds interesting, according to RXSUMO there was only one shipment of RX3s into NZ. //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/32841-old-mazda-rotary-pics/page-2#entry873426

Did the other NZ new cars that didn't have a savanna badge on them have the same interior colour combo? Personally I prefer the dogbone style lights but thats just personal preference.

Not sure if it had mirrors, may have, I'd have to ask Brian from Rotary Research in Christchurch who brought it new. Think only the NZ new savanna had the tan interior, and the savanna badge instead of the mazda rx3 badge, yeah I perfer the round lights lol so everyone's different I guess.

I'm wondering if the NZ savanna thing was a case of the car had been sitting on the lot for a year or whatever and they had to shift it so they changed the badges (and maybe interior stuff) to make it something 'special'. kind of like a Ford dealership banging a vinyl top on a falcon.

Interesting thought. Anyway I like the work you are doing, the blue paint looks sweet, and standard interiors are the best interiors.

Hey, if you end up splitting your interior trademe auction up do you want to sell me the rear carpet? My front carpet is mint but the 3 rear pieces are warn because the last owners dog ate it. What's your black carpet like?

So off topic, sorry.

Back on topic: Are your rear pillars labelled super dulux or GT?

Also, my coupe was assembled in Japan, but sold NZ new. I thought this was the same for all the 808/rx3 coupes that were sold in NZ? I also heard that towards the end of production Mazda started doing all kinda random stuff with their production lines as certain bits ran out etc. So maybe that's why it got Savanna badges? Maybe it was going to be a JDM car and then they sent it to NZ?

Wonder if there is anyway to find out?

I'd have to have a look through the interior as I take it all out, think the carpets are in pretty good shape and I'll probably have to split to get rid of everything. So anything you want I can photograph for you, there's the odd crack here and there, mainly why I brought the new interior. I have a super delux badge, I'm guessing should have a gt badge. Brian's not sure what it had. Beauty of it all I could die it all black if I really had to.

Brian knows of someone else with a savanna coupe, but there wasn't many that came here, he thought about 9 in total, either way I guess it's a rear thing with the brown, he gave me the chassis number that was cut out of the firewall so could possibly track its history.