Intermittent lower oil pressure

Ridal

Toyota 5K. 

I have shimmed the oil pump pressure release valve and all was good, running 1/2 on the standard gauge at max pressure. When cold it would be on max at low rpm as determined by pressure release and come down as oil temp increased as you would expect. Recently it would start low when cold and slowly work its way up to max pressure as the oil warmed up. More recently it has not reached max pressure and only increases slightly with rpm.

I hooked up a mechanical gauge to see what was going on and it was 30-40 psi (low-high). Turned engine off. Started engine 15 mins later and quickly went up to ~70 psi which is what I would expect the release valve value to be. Now it is back to 30-40 psi. I just changed the oil and filter using a genuine filter and engine flush which has made no difference.

I'm thinking a blockage somewhere but I'm not sure. Any ideas? 

To increase pressure. It's just a matter of putting a 3mm washer at one end of the spring to increase the spring force. I think it's unlikely the cause because if it was jammed shut pressure would be high and if it was fully open pressure should still reach high pressure at high rpm and be super low at low rpm.

A relief valve set at 70psi isn't going to blow seals, how many "seals" does the oiling system in old stz actually touch on the pressure side? It passes some gaskets and then some holes into bearings/crank/cam/rocker gear, nothing that will blow.

If this thing has 30-40psi at idle hot it obviously has a good condition bottom end and oiling system or is running too thick oil. Remove relief shim and see what's up?