1gge to 1ggte conversion

SlipperyGX71

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are 1G's like as a manual? ( Just bought one to throw into my Carina ) I've had one in a stupid ass auto Chaser - and I only drove it for a week before I swapped it for a B18CR integra... Which in my opinion was a whole heap more fun...

As a Manual do they have more get up and go? Or they still really underpowered type things.. Is the Turbo conversion worth doing? I'm use to quick and responsive 4age's and other 4 cylinders so havn't really got a clue what 2 more cylinders play out like...

giz your 4age for my carina then ! , if you still have it

Just to throw my 2c in... I had (many years ago, in another city...) a fully optioned (moon roof, lsd, analog gauges with 9k rev counter)

1983 ga61 celica supra. Went nutty even after I thrashed it so hard it dropped 2 cyls. Wouldn't die thrashing onward.

Got sick of it not dieing, yammed a 1g-gte from a mk3 ga70 in there (swap sump, oil pickup, engine mounts it will bolt in)

so 1g-gte 7psi model, 600x300 baby-catching fmic, free flowing exhaust, good final drive being in front of a w55 and f283

Went crazy. No engine mods 200something k on it and smoked many tyres and fuckwits on the road, til I had to sell it to move to wgtn

POINT IS - some things are so rare that they are worth more unmodified. If I had unmolested that car, sold it to someone that

thought "omg fully optioned 2000gt celica supra" and spent the extra money on starting with a 1geu auto, it would have

been better for both me and the guy that appreciated it's factory form. Which was pretty a damn sweet form.

End of the day, do what you like, I think it's cool and it'll definitely be more noticeably ballsy with the right piping/exhaust/etc than 1g-ge

But keeping it original or giving it to someone that would never find one otherwise is cool too, and could give you more money for more boost :)

Good luck with it all sorry bout the long post guys

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I put a 1GGTE in my factory manual 1GG GX71 Mark II. I don't regret it at all. They came out factory turbo, my car is essentially the GT version now.

I did it because its what I wanted to do. If you want to turbo it then turbo it. Its not like they only made 100 Mark II's. Its an uncommon car but not rare.

I also peeled the guards, modified the suspension, changed the car audio, destroyed the chassis rails etc. So its far from factory anyway.

Do what you want to do, life's to short to worry about if its rare or not. Maybe if you were turning a 2000GT into a limo then we might have an argument but its a Mark II we are talking about here haha.

And to answer your question, your factory fuel pump is fine.

If you are worried about it sounding shit then listen to this turbo whine...

• Like 1