Parkie's 1973 Bedford CF - Discussion

gravity444

Cheers guys...  Yes, Cletus currently has the original slant four cylinder engine..  From what I understand, it is the 1600cc engine so significantly under powered for a camper..  So im looking at an engine transplant..  I was thinking of the standard 186 or 202 conversion.  Some of my friends are trying to convince me to go for an 8 cylinder.  I also have thoughts of going for something modern... So the engine is still definitely up for discussion.

Yeah, could be the 1800cc, still runs pretty sweet, but yeah slow as... I was also keen on the 202 option. Although someone told me the 186 had more torque, better for towing?? I'm hoping it will pull a boat at the end of the day. What's camping without a bit of fishing..

Have you tried an impact driver on the hinges?

Failing that get an old screwdriver and tap the end as you try your hardest to turn it.

Spray on heaps of crc and let it sit for a while

Heating can work

Use screw extractors as a last resort. Offer a better grip but if snap it you may be up shit creek. Depends how stuck the screws are.

Hey Euron. The hinges are attached by a big phillips screw into a welded nut, even my biggest screwdriver is a bit small.. I don't have a phillips impact bit or screwdriver big enough, just keeps slipping and I don't want to strip the heads if possible.. Maybe the screw extractors, this is new to me.. Is this something I can get from repco or the likes??

If u fuck the Phillips bit but get it off you can just buy some more they come up for sale all the time on trademe. Let me know if u want any info about motor conversion as I've been through it all and found 202 to be value

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39698-1979-cf-bedford-bey-thats-mean-as-van/?hl=%2Bcf+%2Bbedford

Yeah, hopefully it wont come to the grinder..  I definitely had a good read through your project, looks like an awesome wagon.  Im also swaying towards the 202 conversion.  Did you ever consider going up to an 8 cylinder, not sure if this would be more difficult or not, i suppose the engine would be shorter than the 6 cylinder.  But i'm guessing it would be a lot more thirsty..

I did consider going 308 but the overall cost of the conversion sky rockets compared to the 202. Also talked to old boys who use to do the 308 conversions on them back in the day and said the v8s are a lot heavier and have to put power steering in to work well. Also if I went 308 I'd want to put a better diff in aswell so 202 was perfect for me. It goes hard especially with the 5 speed!

If you've tried your crc on the nuts inside the door on the nuts inside the body then I'd try an impact driver, the ones that you hit with a hammer and they twist. Other than that it's the nuts that heat would work on as the heat will expand the metal and hopefully loosen connection to the threads. A small flame and just work the heat around the outside edge of the nut as you don't want the bolt to expand as well.

The pins might be easier and gently heat the body part of the hinges as alloy expands more than steel will so that's most probably how they did it in the first place.

I haven't been near these particular ones but that usually how you'd do these things. Good luck!

Friend of mine had a 2.5 litre V-8 of Nipponese extraction in his, Toyota maybe, and he's a bit impatient and a good mate of hammers when his head goes all red so the simple fact he got it done all by himself bodes well. And they're all alloy so a bit lighter to have to move about.

Cool that makes sense 73crown, I think the 308 V8 idea, was discussed after a weekend at the beach hop, looking at some of those awesome vehicles, but like you say the 202 might just be a bit easier and practical.

Artyone I have been thinking of the possibility of a modern engine, but the computer thing scares me a little, also I suppose all the steering would need to be upgraded.. Brakes upgraded??  I might have to look into it a little more..  I have looked at 'yoeddienz' bedford conversion with a ford falcon engine etc, looks like an awesome wagon, but hell of a headache and probably a bit more money than I am looking at..

Back in the old days, when electronics wasn't even a possibility, swapping engines over was an almost weekly occurence where I was brought up and it was alot to do with rusty vehicles still having good motors and good non-rusty vehicles having crap motors and it was less about efficiency and more about just plain keeping a car moving... while also trying to go a bit faster.

One friend of mine put a 350 small block in his Vauxhall and had the 3.3 left over and I had some time to spare so I put it in my HT holden ute which was really silly but having done that I thought of the 3.3 British motor for your Bedford simply because they're both British.

And also I saw a JO bedford truck for sale on the side of the road yesterday in Penrose... maybe that's an idea worth looking at. Those ol' JO's had a long stroke tractor unit (seems it was the stovebolt chevy 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Vehicles)

I can understand your wanting to go the simple predetermined route to make things easier legal wise but even as I read the JO Bedford page they used to be Vauxhall so there's this same marque thing going on... maybe the 3.3 motor I had all those years ago was actually a Chevy!

That's right... It was a Vauxhall Victor 2 door with the 3.3 cresta motor and a 4 speed floor change. Looking at the Cresta page at wikipedia they actually had a 2.65 litre engine as well, various cresta that is.

But then again, I used to love setting the tappets on those Aussie sixes... so easy once they warm up.