Too much fuel pressure?

Sambo

I've been advised that the reason the 4AGE in my AE85 is running so rich is that the pump is delivery about twice the standard fuel pressure and the standard FPR can't cope. Before I cough up for an after market FPR I wanted to get a second opinion. Could this even be the cause? Ideally I would swap to a full AE86 fuel setup, but I can't find one.

I think it was Truenotch who pointed out that the wrong injectors (high vs low impedence). I did have the wrong type in there, but have got high impedence now and have run for a few minutes with no improvement, could it take longer for the ECU to adjust?

Yeah, it was a clued up 4age mechanic who gave the diagnosis after chucking the gauge on. I know that the pressure is too high, it's just whether it's the main cause of the issue. Aside from the clouds of smoke it drives really well, power seems right up there etc etc.

could just try another factory reg.  pressure shouldn't go up much unless pump is massive,

otherwise more info required

what return line are you using

what pump?

when do clouds of smoke happen?

which 4age?

and everything else

Pump is massive: Bosch 910.

Return line is standard 85. I was planning to upgrade this anyway (is it easier/cheaper to get new hardlines bent up or use something else?)

There's always smoke, from idle right through to WOT/redline. More throttle = more smoke

Smallport 4age - Standard bar intake and exhaust mods and now 4EFTE 295cc high impedence injectors. Standard ecu etc.

Ahhh, I don't have the figure handy. Was waayyy over 43psi though. Somewhere between 60 to 80.

Damn. I was stoked when the 4EFTE injectors went in without changing plus too  :tongue: . Might have to pay wreckers prices to get some..

stock lines are pretty small from memory.   test the fuel pressure with the return line off,  going into a bucket or something. if pressure is the same as with the return line on. not much point changing the line. 

ive ran with a bigger pump on stock reg, injectors & ecu.   afr was perfect on wideband.      if the injectors don't solve it and the pressure is actually that high,  i would look at doing the test above ^    should tell you if its return line or reg issue.     i wouldn't think  you would get anywhere near that pressure with factory reg on that pump.