azzurro's holiday homy

Guest azzurro

Guest azzurro

Ive had my van since late 2006 to do a roadie around the south island for a month with the family and dog.

This is just before we left after putting all the good stuff on it.

p4100006i.jpg

Its a 1990 LWB Nissan Homy with the mighty TD27 engine, and has a few super lush features like Power Window, a Tachometer that redlines at 5000rpm, and a grey interior with cloth inserts in the seats - i know!.

I picked it up as a last minute replacement for the first Homy I bought which blew a head gasket pretty much instantly after i built a bed and stuff in the back and got it serviced (mechanic should have pointed out the multitude of problems before doing a whole lot of preventative type maintenance but there you go). It was a giant piece so blowing the head gasket before we left was for the best.

Anyway swapped all the good bits over from the old van (white rims, bull bars, stereo, bed etc) and we were off. Went mint had a good time etc and its been sweet ever since.

Weve stayed at beaches:

p1000688qk.jpg

weve stayed in the bush:

p1000596w.jpg

stayed at the mountain:

p1040692c.jpg

p1040688x.jpg

p1040715e.jpg

Its super warm in the back even in winter:

and picked up 3 Fiats from Palmy:

p1030407ra.jpg

p1040341l.jpg

Living on the coast and with the van living on the driveway means rust. TBH the thing is pretty bad under the minimum 5mm of bog it got in (i guess) Japan from the windows down to cover up various dents and stuff (i think it was an ex-Rental) so keeping on top of it it a regular 6 monthly affair:

p1050651t.jpg

p1050653y.jpg

p1050645h.jpg

Good practice for the FIat :)

Over the last month or so ive put some new front shocks in ($40 delivered :)), and some Pick-a-part rears (the old ones had rusted through!):

p1060359o.jpg

as well as 4 new(for me) tyres, and tidied up underneath a bit as well with the wire wheel and paint.

Needed a new alternator a while ago, and has had a new water pump about 2 years before that, but otherwise has been super reliable.

Got some 6x9s in boxes to put in the back somewhere (to replace the speakers i put in the Fiat) and its all set for a winter travelling to the snow.

I <3 my van.

p1040020cn.jpg

Guest azzurro

Wanted to ask, does anyone have a wiring diagram for these or similar (D21/navara etc?) or have some ideas for me

Drivers headlight has just stopped working both low and high beam,

- no fuses blown

- The lamp itself tests ok on the bench (its pretty new)

- ive cleaned the light stalk switch out, it sends juice out ok

just woindering if there is a relay or something between the cloumn switch and lamp i should check out as well before i start chasing breaks in the wiring

Looks like it goes direct from the switch to the lamp, but I dunno?

Guest azzurro

Got in touch with R100, he reckoned the column switch.

So had another fiddle with it today, took the back off the switch got the light working by jumpers from the central park lights contact, so i know the wiring works - yay!

Contacts seem good too from when i last cleaned them.

Light is not blown either.

The spotlight relay triggers off the high beam + supply on this light and they wernt working either so i rewired all that too. Works fine with any other + to trigger the relay..

Its super wierd, multi meter shows 11-12v even right at the light plug end without and at the switch, until under any load (like a bulb, or even the relay) then 0v instantly, seems like a dodgy relay or connection somewhere? I dunno!

Its so wierd that its both low and high beam as well.

Will try find a new switch i guess. Need some suspension bushes too as well as a dizzy o-ring for my mrs SR20.

Suggestions for good Nissan Parts sources?

I also fitted the 6x9s, fixed the sink back onto the bench, and as I also stupidly poked a bubble with a screwdriver, I cut more rust out.

Guest snapper

there's a great Nissan wreckers here in Wellington, Hutt Park Road. I used to get bits there for my Sentra and my Maxima. You ought to be able to find something closer to home, though.

There should be a Nissan-Lego part, yeah?

• 3 years later...

So, I sold this about a year ago, i was getting sick of fixing rust every six months and diesel rego was nearly $600 a year.

I thought a cool camper trailer would be a suitable substitute. Ahh, nope.

After a 4000km roady, the family consensus was - we miss the van :(

I also missed the van and have a watchlist full of stuff, but then this popped up about $3k under the usual asking price and close to work so went and had a look and now its mine ours :)

2003 Nissan E25 Caravan, LWB. High Roof, KA24DE (petrol 2.4l 16v DOHC) + 4AT , 220km ex-rental  goods van (no seats no sliding windows)

6iZuVG.jpg

r1y13q.jpg

Its got a few dents and scratches, but engine runs like a top and ITS NOT RUSTY :compress:

much

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had some Trademe Success! Sold the trailer and scored some bargains.

Picked up some good tyres and steel rims (base model 4wd Hilux) for $150, looks slightly less like a special outing bus now

XWYgrQ.jpg 

Buy my old rims and tyres!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1256763818  

Scored a near new Best Bars towbar off the tard, and jammed it on. Still need to wire in the plug

bv3iI6.jpg

Grabbed a couple of other random bits and pieces off the dude too 

Poverty spec
gl6ruM.jpg

To maximum lux-ry mayte

2u9H6R.jpg

Put in the rear speakers (and a shelf)

YLmwJQ.jpg

Jammed some carpet in the front for warm feeties
OO7oPu.jpg

So clean, much cams, such valve

A4jlh5.jpg

Made a start on the sink. Same layout as my old van (these E25s are not very different at all form the e24!)

This stuff has to fit and ill be getting a seat so its tight
JcdXp2.jpg

Remains of the sink (cheap SS bowl and a holesaw and a plug fitting), need a new hand pump tap/pump and a new bowl/sink and run the waste through the panel out the handy grommet underneath. To a tank eventually, but a bucket for now.

This is just storage and hand washing, we do all the cooking and dishes outside, under an awning which i still need to obtain.
XarXdV.jpg

I only have this pic of it finished, sorry, but you can sort of see the bench top, shelf, mirror and 2x lights, one fluro on the bottom of the shelf, the other on the speaker mount.

0C8PI3.jpg

Still need to get a pump and sink and fit it, as well as Still to do:

- finish curtains

- awning

- roofies? or interior storage for boards

- some sort of roof vent, sliding windows or sunroof, because fuck me does it get hot and stuffy in there 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Finished off the sink unit, nice teak super yacht ply from my buddy who used to work there. 

lower shelf is a bit frufru compared with the rest, but meh.

0vcUYr.jpg

Sink drains through the ash tray and out a grommet underneath.

i have also added a hand pump tap to a 20L water container that lives under the bed
D6Twnb.jpg

Used up the last of the checkered vinyl to cover the grotty brown panels
ZCFrvy.jpg

Went for a surf mission to Port Waikato, had a meet with another high roof caravaneer, a slightly later facelift one.

BafrpS.jpg

Surf was a bit shite so drove the coast road to Raglan. 2 hours of windy gravel though some lovely country,

NkOBl5.jpg

Raglan was better but still shit, Van went great tho, and looked cool doing it :) 

fAVJJl.jpg

Ive bought some awnings (2xfor $20 each!) so apart from adding something to connect them too above the door, finishing the curtains, a bit of underlay/foam for the bed a nd some minor electrics shes already for missions

4hXPJX.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

been commuting this a bit lately, more so since some dick crashed into the mrs corolla on a roundabout

time to improve the one star safety rating and de-special the special bus at the same time

nissan mistral SS nudge bar, secured to the still unboltable factory tow hooks

Ruuhq7.jpg

IPF "super rally" spots from the old van controlled via a relayed dash rocker switch so they only come on with the high beam. 

vbIPrR.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Been pesting around in this over winter, been sweet, but yet to do a run to the mountain.

MIL will be staying in it next week which will be the true test.

Went surfin/rallying

bo31ng.jpg

Doggo!
UrmqIx.jpg

Went up north, Matauri Bay, noone around, mint. Bit of a change from summer to be sure!
hxEk3l.jpg

Absolute Waterfront
66YE6g.jpg

Sink set up completed, and curtains pretty much done, want to  get some of them tiny super magnets and sew them into the corners to hold them in place against the bottom and sides. The last van had dome poppers to do the same job which worked well but were a bit inflexible.

aeYYfO.jpg

Tractors
KZXhQ8.jpg

Goals
mEIFKH.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

This has been super sweet, and is my daily driver (when i actually drive - carpooling mostly!). 

Got some new rims, ex-Bighorn (i was looking for the mesh ones like the old siver van had but these came up cheap enough), alloy + tyre are lighter than one of the hilux steelies. Also spent about $2k on front control arms, brakes  and wheel bearings + a wheel alignment and she drives pretty smooth and straight (and quiet!) now.

K3XaHE.jpg

Also modified a set of tall roofies to be tall enough to reach over my massive forehead.

wybL3H.jpg

twXzIj.jpg

Gx825K.jpg

ZGAQDm.jpg

Planning on putting a roof tray (ex factory hiace) , ladder (have ss one), retractable awning (to buy) and roof box (have one from old van) up there eventually. 

Also installed some fancy leather seats in the back, they are pretty flash and are on rails and can be reversed to face the rear, so its actually useful to carry more than 2 people now.

I would like an LSD diff of some sort cause this thing is ridiculously easy to get stuck to the extent that its actually silly.  Slightly damp grass, or uneven ground, reversing, it doesnt matter once one rear wheel even thinks about lifting its all over. Do Navaras (i think D22 shares a lot of running gear) have LSD in the rear?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a d21 with I *think* is the same diff and I had a lsd center put in it. Its the diff with the hat on the back. I had a caravan with the same looking diff but silly 5.2 or something ratio.

Same guts as an r200 if I recall correctly 

17 minutes ago, cletus said:

I had a d21 with I *think* is the same diff and I had a lsd center put in it. Its the diff with the hat on the back. I had a caravan with the same looking diff but silly 5.2 or something ratio.

Same guts as an r200 if I recall correctly 

C200, basically a live axle R200.

Some Glorias have them too

• 3 months later...