Brake pedal excess travel/sinking at revs?

Ridal

KA67 Carina

I have a terrible feeling brake pedal. The brakes become effective when the pedal is about half way to the floor but this varies slightly. The pedal seems to be firm but when I have my foot hard on the pedal and raise the revs at the same time, the pedal will sink even further. I replaced the master cylinder last year, bled the brakes from the nipples twice and have properly adjusted the rear drums (handbrake slack etc). No fluid is leaking. I haven't bled the system from the master cylinder onwards so it's possible there is air somewhere in there. I also haven't had a good look for bulging hoses either. I'm planning on doing a few engine mods soon which will increase the power so I'd really like to get the brakes sorted before that happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

The brake fluid path is reservoir -> master cylinder -> proportioning valve -> calipers/wheel cylinders. There's a chance that bleeding the master cylinder separately will release some air trapped in there. I didn't bench bleed the cylinder when I fitted it. The pedal still has travel when the engine is not running. It's not as firm as my Corona's pedal though. So I guess it's either air in the system or bulging lines, more likely the former.

Clamp off your soft lines at the rear. - Does your pedal improve? yes/no

Clamp off your soft line at the front. - Does your pedal improve? yes/no

If you answer yes to the second one, clamp off each front soft line one at a time and if one side improves then that caliper or pad or slider of that side is at fault.

Yes it does. I checked the line to the manifold and it's clear. The one way valve is working as it should and the diaphragm in the booster doesn't seem to be leaking. I would have thought the booster would become less effective with more throttle/rpm (less vacuum) and cause more the opposite of what I'm experiencing. Could there be something else wrong?

I wanted to clamp the lines for the tests you mentioned today but lacked the clamps. I'll get hold of some and see what I find.

can use vice grips in absence of clamps but be careful of over doing it and busting the soft lines.

you say youve had the cylineder out so maybe you just need to adjust the rod between the pedal and booster correctly to bring the pedal up a bit?

pedal sinking with revs* is a sign that the booster is working (from manifold vacuum assisting your foot pressure) but shoudnt really be that noticable.

You prbably have air in the system somewhere that is compressing.

bleed it again before adjusting the rod.

*usual test that booster is 'working' is to put your foot on the brake when off and start car, pedal should drop slightly but be firm after that.

I can't remember. Is the rubber disc at the pedal linkage end of the piston or something?

I should be able to get hold of some proper line clamps. I did wonder about that adjustment and will do as you say. I would have thought the booster would be less effective as the throttle opens due to loss of vacuum? Regardless, the pedal travels much too far for it to be ignored. I've got a good list of things to check now. Thanks for all the help everyone.