1981 Volvo245 stub axles

SOHC

My daily drive 81 Volvo 245 GLE was making a clunking sound from both front wheels, and there was play in the bearings but when I pulled it all apart it had spun the inner bearings and worn into the axle shaft and turned it blue.

What would cause this? is there anyway to fix it with out replacing the stubs? they are part of the strut. anyone got any? I need to get this done before Monday

If it's gone blue it may have hardened the stub axle and made it brittle - but if that proves not to be the case metal spraying is the only solution - but it needs machining down afterwards obviously.

It would have done the opposite and made it soft, I am not sure about metal spraying and stub axles, I have been told that's a no no.

is it posable to remove them from the strut or are they part of it?

• Like 1

I would say the unknowns would make me just flag reusing them and get replacement ones.

I guess the easiest way to know if you can remove and replace the shaft is to post a photo of the stub but I can't say I've ever seen replaceable shafts before - it's normally a fit and forget dealio.

I would say the unknowns would make me just flag reusing them and get replacement ones.

I guess the easiest way to know if you can remove and replace the shaft is to post a photo of the stub but I can't say I've ever seen replaceable shafts before - it's normally a fit and forget dealio.

I will take a photo now and put it up, looks to be part of the bottom strut. things were going too well for me with this car

There IS A WAY.

Metal spraying is not possible as you can't throw the whole lot into a lathe.

If you were to get desperate you could use a product called BELZONA 1111. It's a two part epoxy. Mix it up, spread it on, slide the new bearing inner on into place... Scrape off excess and then forget about it.

Certainly not best practice but I'm thinking like a desperate man

Cool thank you, I will talk to Durty,

I hate to think they would cost new, I spent $260 on bushes today and that was at trade price from the mount shop.

BELZONA 1111 sounds pretty good but I don't think it would hold out on an axle, its only a 3 thou gap, maby maby as a last shot resort I would use it

Cool thank you, I will talk to Durty,

I hate to think they would cost new, I spent $260 on bushes today and that was at trade price from the mount shop.

BELZONA 1111 sounds pretty good but I don't think it would hold out on an axle, its only a 3 thou gap, maby maby as a last shot resort I would use it

Not saying the loads are the same but I have done many shaft and housing repairs with belzona on electric motors.

Usually the process is:

Screw cut surface

Smear on belzona in copious amounts

Machine to std size

But the guides and packaging describe its use as per my first post.

It's great for insulating bearings on motors ( like, more KW than a car size) suffering from EDM and stuff.

Iv also done shit tonnes of metal spraying using a type of sintered bronze powder... Prefer belzona personally since you add no heat.

Sorry, I'm rambling

Not saying the loads are the same but I have done many shaft and housing repairs with belzona on electric motors.

Usually the process is:

Screw cut surface

Smear on belzona in copious amounts

Machine to std size

But the guides and packaging describe its use as per my first post.

It's great for insulating bearings on motors ( like, more KW than a car size) suffering from EDM and stuff.

Iv also done shit tonnes of metal spraying using a type of sintered bronze powder... Prefer belzona personally since you add no heat.

Sorry, I'm rambling

II will rember the name of that stuff for next time I find a loose bearing, alternators allways seem to have lose bearings, it might be good to use there.

Are crank shafts still as strong when they have been metal sprayed?

II will rember the name of that stuff for next time I find a loose bearing, alternators allways seem to have lose bearings, it might be good to use there.

Are crank shafts still as strong when they have been metal sprayed?

I have no experience with spraying an uncaptured bearing surface like one that a whitemetal bearing would ride on.

If you only belzona or metal spray a captured surface ( captured under a coupling or bearing) you shouldn't have issues.

I've never seen a component failure due to either of those methods.

If you can't tell already I think it's a fuckin great way of solving some problems in some applications.

Where in country are you?

can some one please help me with this, I got some control arm bushes from the mount shop, the mount shop book sed there was a left and a right for some reson, one side was half a mm longer than the other and had a 1.5mm bigger flange.

you can see on thhis page PAT No# 39h007 and 39h008 https://www.mountshop.co.nz/PassengerDisplayProducts.asp?passenger=Y&displaymake=Y&SubGroup2=N&category=39&SecondSusp=Y&master_group=11&stock_subgroup2=73&sub_group=12#maincontent

Is this a fuck up in there book? or is it right?