Modifying dizzy advance curve ?

ta63-1uzze

Modifying dizzy advance curve ?

I have got a mini, It’s my first car , it’s a never ending work in progress . I don’t work on it often, I don’t ever plan on selling it, too much sentimental attachment to it now : )

anyway

A year ago I bought a Nissan distributor of an 1980s pulsar. “Dr83” . I bought this on a whim after having drama with the standard mini ignition system. After doing a little bit of research I have found that I will need to have the advance curve modified to get the best results and to stop from potentially damaging my engine.

I am unsure of what the specifications should be as it is not a standard mini engine. Is there a way to find out what the advance curve should be?

and who do I need to take it too to get the work done ?

it is electronic, reluctor type. But it still uses weights and springs for advance. Its got a plate in it with slots that set the curve and max advance. I have found that you need a specific machine to test the dizzy. But that’s as far as I have got. I am yet to find anyone who has one or does rebuild them

I have no idea what the max advance is on the original dizzy or the new one. I am guessing that it might be similar but I don’t want to blow holes in my pistons trying to find out

You will have to change your springs and the slots in the plate, that's it, so not too dificult but you will need to fuck around heaps...OR you could find some old guy who works out the back of a shop somewhere that has been doing it for years....( they are quite hard to find these days)

Also hit up Voldo, he is a Mini piner from way back and I'm fairly sure he has one of these dizzys on his car/in his shed.

oh , havent stumbled upon that one before , whould you happen to have any info on it i have just been googling but cant find anything about that conversion ?

looks like its a better place to start as i am running a 1330 also. i take it you have had a timing light on your mini ? are you happy with how yours runns? had any isue with pinging ?

yeah that write up is what i found before and is where i got the Nissan pulsar dissy from. but as it says in the write up they need the curve changing.

i understand that its a case of changing weights and or modifying the slot. but you still need a test bench to do it correctly. that is where im stuck cause i can't find anyone who does it.

edit. i have just bought one of the dissys from a en1. hopefully the curve is closer than the dr83 from the Nissan

i understand that its a case of changing weights and or modifying the slot. but you still need a test bench to do it correctly. that is where im stuck cause i can't find anyone who does it.

You should be able to get it pretty sweet just street tuning the dizzy advance, there is surely plenty of information about the general advance mini guys are running on different setups? Providing you can actually get a spring kit for the dizzy you want to use. Not many people use a test bench to setup a dizzy curve, has to be thousands and thousands of carbied cars getting around with street tuned advance "curves"

Basically just figure out the total advance you want on your setup and lock out the dizzy to max out at 30-32 degrees as above. To do this you take off your front pulley and mark out up to say 35 degrees and rev the motor on the spot and adjust the stop so it never hits over 32 degrees (If you have a decent timing light that can do a offset you wont have to mark up the pulley). Then you want to adjust the springs to get your 32 degrees to come in as early as possible without pinging, this is where info from other mini owners would come in, some motors will take a full 32 degrees very early ~2000rpm others allot higher (probably up around 4000rpm or over in the mini). Again you just test this by revving on the spot and watching with a timing light, then change the springs harder or softer test again then go driving and load it up and pray for no audible pinging. Don't know if this helps but this is how I have setup every dizzy on my carbied cars over the years (if I can get parts or mod the dizzy to be be adjusted) dial in the advance as quickly as you can until it pings then back it off a couple spring weights (then keep monitoring it on hot days etc). Only way to do any better than that is a knock sensor and dyno time not a test bench

• Like 1