Blown head gasket, what else to do?

Llama

So as well as the radiator hose I blew the head gasket the other day.

Head is off, will be taking into machinists to get looked at/planed ASAP (anyone have any recommendations?), but is there anything else I should be doing? Will the valves be ok? pushrods etc?

I'm probably going to be replacing all the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets because they are poked, and depending on how long the head takes will be looking at the crabs too.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

Don't bother taking the head to the machinist (unless you want to bump compression) cast iron heads rarely warp to the degree of aluminium heads.

Just clean it all up immaculate (best way to clean the block is to remove the headstuds) Then put a strip of emery cloth on a piece of wood and sand the block and the head mating surfaces in a cross hatch pattern until they are good enough to lick.

Throw it back together with a full gasket set..

IMPORTANT NOTE - CAST IRON HEADS ARE RETORQUED WHEN THE ENGINE HAS BEEN HOT AND UP TO TEMPRETURE!!!

Aite, head checked out ok, but getting it planed, and the exhaust valves resurfaced. Also getting some of the head/block holes size matched (since it is apparently a new head on a older block?). Probably going to get them to put it back together, just because it'll be faster and I would like my car for Christmas.

Motorbike sounding much easier to work on atm...

north shore engine reconditioners, 6 Hillside Road Glenfield is a good guy to talk to and get work done, or Carr Engine services, 63 Carr Road Mount Roskill. they do all the old stuff and seem to me much cheeper than other shops if you need heads planed or cylinders bored

Don't bother taking the head to the machinist (unless you want to bump compression) cast iron heads rarely warp to the degree of aluminium heads.

Just clean it all up immaculate (best way to clean the block is to remove the headstuds) Then put a strip of emery cloth on a piece of wood and sand the block and the head mating surfaces in a cross hatch pattern until they are good enough to lick.

Throw it back together with a full gasket set..

IMPORTANT NOTE - CAST IRON HEADS ARE RETORQUED WHEN THE ENGINE HAS BEEN HOT AND UP TO TEMPRETURE!!!

I'm no tradesman and I respect your opinion more than most jokers but for peace of mind I'd tend to get it check out by the head shop at the least?

also slam stem seals and get guides checked out :)