Beaver's Datsun 120y coupe

Beaver

More lame progress. Finaly sorted out getting the camber plates to work.Got some new sleeve nut things and spacers, then customized some of joes spare bits and it all fits together nicely and the nut winds on all the way which is good.

Got one of the sweet 80s vac gauges of Chris (so sweet!). It appears I have zero vacuum at idle....and it blips to just over 10 when the throttle is shut after revving it (apparently there should be between 12 and 20 vacuums at idle). I have just tapped into one of the vac ports on the manifold (between the carb and head so I assume thats all good.

Any ideas on why Im getting no vac? Could there be a cronic leak and the car still run (albeit a bit shit) with next to no vacuum?

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-21

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beaver

Top Posters In This Topic

More useless updates (I should really stop these).

Fitted bigger C20 van radiator, pretty straight forward just had to drill a couple of holes. Fits perfectly and the shroud even works. Just need to find a suitable top hose.

Fitted electronic ignition, if anything it just means I dont have to think about points which is nice.

Got some steel to make gbox cross member (Cheers kicker), started it and then realised Id fucked it up. Waiting for a hole saw bit to arrive and to get my grinder back from a mate.

Slapped on the carb off the a12 and it runs smoother so I think the a15 carb is a bit shot so have tracked down another one. I need to check the PCV valve as I think it might be causing some of my headaches. I just whacked the old one on as it was off the a12 when running but its actually been an age since it ran so might be a bit sticky.

Thats all for now folks. Getting sick of it being in the shed, really need to get my shit sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Massive thanks to Kicker for use of his metal glueing machine and a huuuuuge thanks to Seedy for welding shit together for me and helping et everything sorted. Also for taking a look at my starter motor and replacing the fucked brushes

Today was very fruitfull, welded gearbox cross member up and bolted it all together (its ugly but it works perfectly). Also welded up exhaust and finished of a few water piping issues.

Still isnt running 100% but it drives again and all 5!! gears work.

discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-22

20140315_124651_zps930fa925.jpg

20140315_124643_zpse71d491a.jpg

20140315_142304_zps024ea701.jpg

• Like 6

Went for a proper drive today, 5 speed is a saviour, so much nicer at 100k.

Still having issues with rough as guts idle (sounds like rotary...). Had swapped manifolds and carbs and no difference. Check all manifold bungs for leaks and am 100% confident there are no leaks. Gasket is new and looked closely at it and nothing screams leaking..

I figured I may as well swap the dizzy from the a12 for the sake of it to rule out the dizzy but am running out of ideas.

Still grinnng tho!

• 3 months later...

Right, back from holiday so time to get my shit sorted. Wof ran out a few months back so have decided to commit to getting everything done and legal over winter.

So list is:

• Purchase tyres (175/50R13s if anyone has some lying about?)
  • Finish front coil overs (ie ask Manu to weld up) and chuck in with camber plates and figure out decent height
  • Sort out rear ride height - reset leaves as required
  • Cert

Still runs like a sack so no idea whats going on there.

Discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-22

• 2 months later...

Right, back from holiday so time to get my shit sorted. Wof ran out a few months back so have decided to commit to getting everything done and legal over winter.

So list is:

• Purchase tyres (175/50R13s if anyone has some lying about?) Done!
  • Finish front coil overs (ie ask Manu to weld up) and chuck in with camber plates and figure out decent height. Have put in a box to give to manu, progress right?
  • Sort out rear ride height - reset leaves as required
  • Cert

Still runs like a sack so no idea whats going on there.

Discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-22

Also pulled out seats and carpet in preparation for installation of sound deadening. This aint no race car so Im not bothered about the extra weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, new sleeve arrived and managed to fix up a fucked thread on the strut body (for the shock ring nut). over and hour with a thread file, fingers are rather tender.

Anyway, now have both sides assembled and last job is to set hight of sleeves.

Im going to have to shorten the shocks even with keepers, so wondering if I should ditch them all together? or keep them to give me a bit of droop (as there isnt much without them). Seems most people run them but probably just cause too lazy/poor to shorten shocks.

And I I got some sweet drive on ramps so I can actually get a jack under it now, saves a lot of fucking about.

And no pics sorry as its raining and the front end is on the bench

Pulled leaf springs out last night, is a cunt of a job with only one person with the diff flopping about. So they are ready to be reset to match the front (well the front will come up a bit but yeh).

Also bit the bullet and brought this lush grill (jdm as fuck yo)

291655072.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress, got leafs back from being reset. Popped them in last night. Doesn't appear to be as low as I was hoping but I have no blocks int here now so can adjust to suit with blocks.

Last of the welding and strut shortening has been completed to this weekends job is to get the front end all back together as well.

Was pleasantly surprised to see that nearly all the suspension bushed are in good shape, only had to get new radius rod bushes which will be here tomorrow.

So all going to plan it will be drivable again by end of weekend!

Then the to do list will read:

• Get struts crack tested (will pull them back out after Im happy with heights just in case any more welding is needed)
  • Acquire and install drive shaft hoop (just generic of TM should do the trip. Floor pan is pretty flat from memory)
  • Wire in grill lights
  • Book cert
  • Take for cert
  • Fix what is needed
  • Get cert
  • Take for wof
  • Fix what is needed
  • Get wof
  • Get reg
  • Profit

Doesn't sound like much really. Im sure to make a meal of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkes boes has lifted motivation levels to max and trying to get this all done asap.

Got the ruler out to check levels etc and finalise lowering blocks chop chop

Front sills are both 100mm, back is 130, so will get blocks chopped down to 30mm to level it out.

Chasis rails (lowest point by a long shot) are a shade under 60 mm, exhaust is currently nearly on the ground so that will need some work. Will try and do a bodge job to tuck it up for cert and then get it done properly another day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yay progress. Scored another grill from Wilfs during the Parongarongaroa cruise, so now have three options dependent on how I feel! lol. But the main score was the D badge fits the grill above, so my semi OCD is happy that I have the proper badge (this aint so sunny fool).

Also installed 25mm blocks in the back last night, looks much betterer. Front will come up about 5 mm but otherwise its good to go. Sills are 100mm, chasis rails about 60mm.

Drive shaft hoop, crack testing and wheel alignment are all thats left! Im in the Philippines for the next 2 weeks so will be gather (more) dust.

discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-28

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Right, holidays are over, time to get cracking. 

To do list (so I dont forget)

• Make diveshaft hoop. Seedy is providing some steel and we will bend one up. Will need to borrow metal gluer from some GC to complete
  • Pull out front struts and get crack tested. Plan to pull these tonight. May have to reweld as Im a noob and ground them back a bit to fit coilover sleeves over. Lesson learnt...
  • Tuck up exhaust. Should be able to just cut and shut the front section, just atfer the manifold, and this will hopefully lift the rest of it.
  • Check height. Its been sitting for a couple of months so springs may have settled a bit.

I think thats it, then book in for cert and take it from there. I will also need to fail a WOF (Hi Roger  :-) ) and get a wheel allignment/set front camber to within spec but might wait till after the intial cert check as no doubt there will be some other things to sort out.

• Like 4