Beaver's Datsun 120y coupe

Beaver

Also picked up some spare front struts to chop up.

Have decided on another 2" drop all around. Will get leaves reset 2" and keep the 2" blocks as well (leaves reset 4" would be a bit silly/super inverted). Not sure what to do up front yet. At this stage im favoring grabbing some body adjustable s13 stuff (or similar) and getting a threaded boss welded to the struts. Got all excited when someone told me how cheap the guys at MRP can do it, but upon contacting them I was informed they have changed the gear they use (used to use their cheap as in house MRP branded stuff) to more expensive gear which starts at ~$800 and then extra work the welding etc.

Ive been told s13 top hats/camber plates will fit so this is why ill start looking at s13 stuff. Just need to make sure it will be short enough/low enough. Should be able to pick up a pair of fronts for ~300-400 and then give handjobs to some to make up the boss and weld it up etc.

abuse //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-15

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beaver

Top Posters In This Topic

yay for boring updates!

Took this away for the hanmer meet.

ferry_zps7149e3de.jpg

parked_zps523736ba.jpg

uphill_zpsae91b4db.jpg

New wiper blades bitches

wiperbalde_zps78680c0b.jpg

Lost my car

seat_zps6adc976a.jpg

Lost my exhaust

exhaust_zpsd75fa57e.jpg

Had a nap

sleep_zps2298e019.jpg

So first up are get exhaust welded back up then take it in for wof.

Had a yarn to the Archers Springs crowd so will get the leafs sent up there to get reset. Once Wof'd will then pull the front stuts out and measure up a few things and then hunt out some suitable body adjustable coilovers to suit. And then get a adaptor boss made up and welded to cut down struts. 

discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-15

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Had another go at getting bike carbs running properly. Stripped carbs down (again) and they are spotless. Chucked on, nope still wont fire on 3rd cylinder. Pull off and inspect manifold (well the piece for the 3rd and 4th carb) and its not perfectly flat so 5mins on my super fancy milling machine (sandpaper on bench) it looks better so chuck it back together and voila, fires on all 4. 3rd still drops out when idle is turned down so I suspect it needs a bit more sanding and a new gasket should work a treat.

On a more realistic note still have no wof but finally got exhaust fixed up.

also motor momentariliy runs backwards when you turn if off...think I fucked up the timing. woops

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-15

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With Spencer running his mouth so much decided it was time for a big block upgrade.

Managed to snap up an a15 and 5 speed for a decent price, pretty chuffed. Have a few things that need doing now (coilovers, reset leaves, and then dropping/fitting new motor and box) so will wait till I have all the bits and pull i off the road for a bit while I work on it. Exciting times ahead.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-16

• Like 8

chopped spring seats off last night and have been hunting around for suitable shocks. the internet/chris cain says use n10 pulsar shock inserts but they are no longer available (well the specific part number is no longer made) however the dude was very help full and it looks liek early vw golf inserts will work sweet. they are ~100mm shorter overall and its all in the body (ie they retain pretty much factory travel). The only downside is the tube/shaft is 14mm as opposed to 12mm factory but I think this should just mean I have to drill out the top hats (or if I end up with camber plates, getting a suitable mount or whatever). Going to do a final measure up tonight to double check it will all work otherwise its all go!

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-16

• Like 1

Oh man now Im lost haha.

So mocked things up knowing the measurements of the vw inserts and this is what it looks like. Top yellow tape is where the top mount will be, bottom yellow tape is where the top of the strut tube will be once shortened.

1st is with no keeper spring, sleeve sitting at top of shortened strut, and spring positioned to keep captive.

IMAG0239_zps32226422.jpg

2nd is with keeper springs, sleeve at the same position, and springs positioned keep everything captive.

IMAG0241_zpsa42dbe8e.jpg

My calculations (1.6kg/mm and 6kg/mm spring rates, and assuming 200kg per corner) say that if the bottom of the spring was in the same place as factory, the car would sit 35mm lower. However with no keepers (1st photo) its about 80mm above, so in theory car would sit 50mm higher. With keepers (2nd photo) they would collapse and put the main spring at about the same level as the factory perch, therefore car would sit around 50mm lower that standard. which is shit balls.

So I guess I want a shock with less stroke? OR shorten the ones I used in the mockup to suit?

Or am I completely missing something here.....

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-17

Gave engine an box a good clean up, so far so good. Painted up engine and looks pretty tasty.

Need a few things before its ready to roll

• new clutch and pressure plate
  • get flywheel cleaned up (its rather rusty)
  • shifter bushes for gearbox

Thats about it really. Pulled waterpump off and it looks good inside so I wont bother replacing, coolant passages also are reasonably healthy looking which is a plus.

People say the a15 needs a bigger radiator so I guess I should look into this....trip to pickapart I think.

I need to man and and start cutting some struts to sort the front end out, and then figure out how much I need take out of the leafs in the back. Then its time to pull it off the road and swap everything in. I also want to clean up and paint the engine bay, whats the best way to do this? Not wanting show room finish, just a half decent colour match. I guess as the paint is OG its just a case of finding someone to mix up some paint for it?

• 1 month later...

Still slowly chipping away. Have front coilovers all mocked up (had to sort out top hats etc) using factor top mounts. Not sure If I will need to run camber plates yet, time will tell. Decided to waiti until new motor is in before finalising the height and weldy weld.

Have a few things to get sorted before motor can go in, namely new clutch and gbox mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working away slowly. Got a new clutch kit a release bearing on its way. Also need to get flywheel skimmed.

Had a good day at pickapart, got a c20 (vanette) radiator, not 100% on condition but the water that came out was green and no obviuos leaks so a good start. Also pilaged some bolts and hoses that Im missing from my a15.

Trying get get everything all sorted first so when I take the car of the road its all good to go

GOPR0012.JPG

• Like 1

more useless updates!

New clutch, pressure plate and release bearing arrive (thanks Bart!). Pressed out old bearing and fitted new one. Will get flywheel machined this weekend (its well pitted etc from sitting) and thats that sorted.

Big thanks to jas1200 for providing part number for new gbox mount, will order one of those today.

Then its time to bolt the box on the motor and ready to drop in!

Geoff, might be on your case to borrow that engine crane again......

Good day and bad day.....

Pulled old engine out, chucked new one in (thanks Joe!) and stared wiring it/plumbing it in.

A couple of immediate things to sort but nothing major.

However.....I wired it up in an attempt to start it up. Just a click from the starter motor. Hmm perhaps it a dud I think to my self.

Go to turn motor over by had (it used turn over freely before I bolted gox on) and its super stiff and something is grinding against something.

I guess I must have fucked something up when bolting the flywheel and clutch up. pretty pissed off tbh haha, have to pull engine and box back out again and see whats what. Job for tomorrow I think.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-19

happy happy joy joy.

Pulled motor and box out of the hole (2nd time in two days!) and striaght away noticed the starter motor wasnt quite lined up when I bolted it on....woops. Fixed it up and its smooth as.

So will chuck it back in tomorrow and try again!

Also got some camber plates (thanks Brendan!) so coilovers are getting closer to done

• Like 1

bow chicka wow wow

th_VIDEO0027_zps38bc5ed1.jpg

HUUUUUGE thanks to Joe helping me out the last few nights and helping sort out a few teething issues and timing it up etc

Since the video have done throttle cable and plumbed in radiator (just the standard one for now) and starts nicely off the key.

Next up is to sort the gearbox mount and crossmember out, and sort exhaust (hopefully just cut and shut).

discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-19

• Like 6

Been working through the small niggles, just about there.

All he under bonnet stuff is done, gbox mount on its way and then need to make up x-member and then get exhaust welded up (held together with redbull can at the mo....)

Cant wait to give it a road test, engine seems to rev freely, although pulses like a rotang at idle/anything below 2000rpm. NOt quite sure whats going on there. Have spent ages tinkering with the ingnition side of things but nothing seems to help. I reallly shoudl pull carb done and clean/rebuild it. I had the top off it the other day and a couple of the jets are stripped so will be a cunt of a job, think Ill just keep an keep out for another to clean up.

Also pulled rear left axle out as it looks liek it isnt running true (wheel/hub appears to wobble). Bearings are not original, have been replaced with sealed type whih is good and are in good shape, very smooth and no play. I couldnt spot a bend in the axle or anything so chucked it back in.

Went for a slow drive down the road, yay. 

Something not right though, it idles like an absolute sack and Im not confident its revving properly (sounds like 3) and runs on for aaaaages. Timing is set about 8 btdc (book says 7 i think, so close enough). Have checked tdc and it lines up with 0 on the timing marks so I take it they are all good.

Will check points again but Im pretty sure they are gapped fine. Points, condenser, rotor, cap and leads are all off the running a12 I pulled out. 

Any ideas on what to try? Will pull the carb down this arvo and give it a proper clean