Beaver's Datsun 120y coupe

Beaver

• Make diveshaft hoop. Seedy is providing some steel and we will bend one up. Will need to borrow metal gluer from some GC to complete
  • Pull out front struts and get crack tested. Plan to pull these tonight. May have to reweld as Im a noob and ground them back a bit to fit coilover sleeves over. Lesson learnt...Removed and dropping off with crack test man tonight. Seemed OK with them being ground, will see if the cert man has to say later on....
  • Tuck up exhaust. Should be able to just cut and shut the front section, just atfer the manifold, and this will hopefully lift the rest of it.
  • Check height. Its been sitting for a couple of months so springs may have settled a bit.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beaver

Top Posters In This Topic

• Make diveshaft hoop. Seedy is providing some steel and we will bend one up. Will need to borrow metal gluer from some GC to complete. Had a play udner the car last night and figured out where to stick it and how, nice simple loop with flat bopttom which will extend outwards and bolt to floor.
  • Pull out front struts and get crack tested. Plan to pull these tonight. May have to reweld as Im a noob and ground them back a bit to fit coilover sleeves over. Lesson learnt...Removed and dropping off with crack test man tonight. Seemed OK with them being ground, will see if the cert man has to say later on....Crack test compelted and passed, paperwork aquired.
  • Tuck up exhaust. Should be able to just cut and shut the front section, just atfer the manifold, and this will hopefully lift the rest of it.
  • Check height. Its been sitting for a couple of months so springs may have settled a bit.

• Like 4

More progress. This is some kind of record

20150108_205241_zps694e96c1.jpg

20150108_205228_zps1fbaa6ed.jpg

Excuse the massive bolts, was just checking it all lined up. Need to weld the tabs onto the bottom piece, and then drill hols through bar/floor to mount and all done.

Also got some new front brake hoses as I found a few cracks so figured it was one less thing for wof/cert man to winge about.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-29

Finished off hoop, just needs welding. Drillied holes in floor etc and made backing plates for the indside of the floor. Had a play with the exhaust and just need to track down a bit of straight pipe and should be able to tuck it up easily.

Brakes hoses didnt want to budge so will save them for another day/get a proper brake hose nut spanner thingy

few steps forward, few steps back haha

Massive thanks to seedy for welding up my exhaust. Car is now complete and drives.

But, took it for a wee spin and the driveshaft hits the floor near the back under hard acceleration/big bumps. Will try dropping the gbox down a touch and see if this works

• Make diveshaft hoop. Seedy is providing some steel and we will bend one up. Will need to borrow metal gluer from some GC to complete. Had a play udner the car last night and figured out where to stick it and how, nice simple loop with flat bopttom which will extend outwards and bolt to floor.
  • Pull out front struts and get crack tested. Plan to pull these tonight. May have to reweld as Im a noob and ground them back a bit to fit coilover sleeves over. Lesson learnt...Removed and dropping off with crack test man tonight. Seemed OK with them being ground, will see if the cert man has to say later on....Crack test compelted and passed, paperwork aquired.
  • Tuck up exhaust. Should be able to just cut and shut the front section, just atfer the manifold, and this will hopefully lift the rest of it. have feddled with it so tis a lot better than before, just needs a couple of welds

Doneskis.

Couple of new items but will wait till after first cert inspection to see what else needs doing

-Need shorter swaybar links to get a bit more clearance up front between the swaybar and the chassis rail. Can get universal type kits that are adjustable so will go for one of thoses.

-Spaced down gbox which helped with the driveshaft hittign floor but I suspect it wont be good enough/enough room for cert man so will see what he says.

-Where the exhaust goes over the diff there is fuck all clearance so will need to do something there. Again will see what cert man says and may even splash out and get it all rebuilt (sorry al haha)

-Will likely need fuel tank guard, again will wait and see what he says.

So plan is ring him tomorrow and book it in ASAP and take it from there!

I even took  photo but I my computers being a douche

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-30

• Like 2

Item one sorted

42951.jpg

Im sure I could have made somthing up out of threded rod etc but for $40 for the kit above its not worth the effort. I put new bushes in not too long ago so will just be able to resuse those.

Have been thinking more about the dricveshaft issue, and there are actually 3 bumpstops in the car: two that sit above the diff (held in place by the u-bolts), and another that bolts to the floor above the nose of the diff head (they say its to stop the axle rotating). Obviusly I have cut all of these down to get some travel, but I could probably put a bigger one in above the diff which may infact solve my problem (as the drive shaft hits the floor right near the back). AS long as it leaves me with enought travel that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well.

Took car in for cert check today....failed which wasnt a surprise haha. The joker was very reasonable and helpful however.

Actual items are

• Fit bump stops to front suspension and ensure they work as intended
  • Ensure underside of vehicle has sufficient ground clearance when laden (he said something like 50 mm. Considering its 50mm with nothing in the car, it defeinitly needs to come up haha)
  • Ensure rear suspension has sufficient spring rate as to not sit on bumps when laden
  • Improve height of rear bumpstops
  • Ensure front wheels clear guards at full lock + full compression
  • Tyre/rim combo to be correct as per lvvta charts
  • Secure battery cable to starter 
  • Wheel alignment once suspension sorted. Camber = factory spec +/- 0.5 degree max
  • Replace missing exhaust hanger
  • Put spring washers or star washes on steering wheel bolts (this is a new LVV thing for all aftermarket wheels, they need a locking function)
  • Get WOF check

So really its not too bad. I could just raise everything up and fit massive tyres but it will look stupid (guard gap etc). So I think ill change to 14" wheels, which means I can run a half decent tyre on a 6.5 or 7" rim, and it will also give me ground clearance, and I also can raise the suspension up a bit to get proper travel while keeping a decnt visual appearance (guard gap).

So yeh, will check what tyres I can run and go from there I think. Still trying for nats.......

discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-30

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to get this sorted for nats but its getting tight (d-day is 28th Feb as Im heading on the tour of love/pre nats tour)

Have pulled out 25mm blocks from the back and fitted better/not so cut bumpstops so that should be the back end isses sorted.

Need to wind up the front to suit and fit bumpstops, and that should tick off all the height/clearance issues.

Have borrowed some wheels (14x6 street fins) from Joe (cheers!) for cert and have some 165/55s which are legal (as per manufactur spec) so that's the wheels sorted.

So essentially this has gone full circle. Is almost at the same height as before I started this all, and back on street fins. Shouldnt have bothered really. urgh

• 1 month later...
  • Ensure underside of vehicle has sufficient ground clearance when laden (he said something like 50 mm. Considering its 50mm with nothing in the car, it defeinitly needs to come up haha)
  • Ensure rear suspension has sufficient spring rate as to not sit on bumps when laden
  • Improve height of rear bumpstops
  • Ensure front wheels clear guards at full lock + full compression
  • Tyre/rim combo to be correct as per lvvta charts
  • Secure battery cable to starter 
  • Wheel alignment once suspension sorted. Camber = factory spec +/- 0.5 degree max
  • Replace missing exhaust hanger
  • Put spring washers or star washes on steering wheel bolts (this is a new LVV thing for all aftermarket wheels, they need a locking function)
  • Get WOF check

Yay for progress. So just wheel alignment and wof check to go. Job for next weekend me thinks.

• Like 3

Ensure rear suspension has sufficient spring rate as to not sit on bumps when laden

Improve height of rear bumpstops

Ensure front wheels clear guards at full lock + full compression

Tyre/rim combo to be correct as per lvvta charts

Secure battery cable to starter 

Wheel alignment once suspension sorted. Camber = factory spec +/- 0.5 degree max

Replace missing exhaust hanger

Put spring washers or star washes on steering wheel bolts (this is a new LVV thing for all aftermarket wheels, they need a locking function)

Get WOF check 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...