4g32 EX Lancer coolant leak back of engine

NelsonEX

Hi, This morning when i started my ex I realized a few drips off coolant, I have had a look and it is coming form the back face of the engine right in the middle between the firewall so I cant really see much. its running down and the top of bell housing and dripping off it. What would leak coolant form this area? It is the jap import so it has factory A/C if that could be it.

Thanks Scott

In that area there is a frost plug behind the flywheel - involves taking the gearbox out and flywheel off.

But the best thing to do is to get a pressure test and have a good look where it is coming from.

It could be leaking from somewhere else and dribbling along a hose and then dripping down the back of the motor..

It will be the join between the fire wall and the engine that is for the heater core.Constant issue, i cant stop my LA lancer doing the same damn thing. Try putting new high quality hose clamps on there.

It will be the join between the fire wall and the engine that is for the heater core.Constant issue, i cant stop my LA lancer doing the same damn thing. Try putting new high quality hose clamps on there.

Hmmm that makes sense, Has yours caused any trouble like this?

• 4 weeks later...

drain gearbox of oil, remove driveshaft, undo gearbox crossmember mounts, undo engine mounts and any cables/pipes which would prevent the motor being moved a few inches and then lift the motor up off the mounts and forward with an engine crane and then replace frost plug and then the reverse to put back together.

• 1 month later...

So we took the ex out last weekend for a road test, The leak stops once it reaches running temp, drove around all day coolant level did not move neither did the temp gauge. Got a mirror down the fire wall definitely looks like it coming from the head not a frost plug :/