1982 Honda Civic Sedan 5 Speed 2nd Generation

KKtrips

Project thread

What you are looking to do would be relatively expensive for a car that judging by the photo may be in not all too great of a condition. This is an EN2 Civic if I recall correctly..

If you were DIY and had access to well priced parts and machining then it would be $300ish to do the job but if you are paying someone to do the whole job I don't expect you'll get much change from $7-800, so you would need to weigh up the cost vs desire to keep the car..

(by the sounds of it you will be paying someone to do the job)

However if you do want to keep the car no matter what then it would most probably be cheaper to get another motor or a whole car from trademe and swap over the engine. It wouldn't be any cheaper but at least you will have as stock of parts for the future..

I'm not 100% sure on what motors may swap straight in but suspect the easiest to find would be a Honda City.. (if they fit)

NZHondas.com may be able to help you somewhat but I they are mostly have later model Hondas - mid 90's onwards..

i find it odd that you would need a new camshaft without anyone pulling the motor apart to see what condition its in...? has anyone checked plugs, leads, cap, points, timing, fuel filter etc etc for you?

where are you located?

its the same engine as an eb civic too which are cheap to get hold of, very very easy to repair diy if you get the manual from a library or similar. i once taught a gf to do a cambelt on one of these

i also know that the 1.6 sohc from the late 70's accord will bolt in to most early civics, probably easier than going efi with a city engine.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the very informative responses. I really do appreciate it.

The car is actually in really nice condition for the age. No rust problems. Just Engine problems.

My mechanic has had the engine inspected. I have managed to source a brand new cam shaft from further down the country for a good price. But will need the rocker arms rebuilt as well as the guide seal, as I can't find the parts new.

I would put a newer type easier to maintain engine in this but it isn't my car.

So just trying to sort it out for the girlfriend as best as possible. ( she doesn't have a big budget)

If it was my car I would learn how to rebuild the engine my self. But she needs to use it. And that would take it off the road for months.

That site you linked to has some great information thanks!

:)

Such a informative and welcoming community here!

If you already have a camshaft then I would say (without seeing the extent of the rocker damage) you could quite easily get the rockers sorted.. (all they can really do to rockers is replace the bushes and resurface them - FWIW rocker bushes don't normally wear out)

Valve stem seals will come in a top end gasket set which you are going to need anyway as you will be best to pull the head off for this job.

Will definitely need to do cambelt also (fairly cheap) and possibly waterpump.

What part of NZ are you?

Pop up some pics of the car for our enjoyment, also a pic with the rocker cover off and showing the valve train would help with any advice we can follow up with.

Are you going to pay someone to work on the car or take it on yourself?

I know of a extremely talented and fair mechanic in Auckland who works for one of the marine firms up that way and as its winter coming their work is drying up so he may be able to take on the job as a perk for better than what you would pay some workshop to do the work for..

• 1 month later...

Not sure to be honest, always had oil since we've used it. Was bought from an old lady who used it to and from the shops now and then. Very low Km's. Had been lacking power since we got it but progressively got worse. And the pictures give the reason haha.

Holy shit alright - I've never seen a camlobe that worn before and I worked on a lot of vehicles over 15 years..

Sounds like you are on the right path but I feel there will be some reason for excessive wear like that - a blocked oil gallery would be my best guess.

It makes me wonder if its been like that from factory and the head may have an oil gallery not fully drilled or blocked by swarf from brand new...

Is it it just those 2 camlobes or the whole lot?

Holy shit alright - I've never seen a camlobe that worn before and I worked on a lot of vehicles over 15 years..

Sounds like you are on the right path but I feel there will be some reason for excessive wear like that - a blocked oil gallery would be my best guess.

It makes me wonder if its been like that from factory and the head may have an oil gallery not fully drilled or blocked by swarf from brand new...

Is it it just those 2 camlobes or the whole lot?

Those two were the worst. From memory only one looked like a normal cam lobe.

Well I am hoping there isn't some other underlying problem. But you may be right. I just want it all to work for the girlfriend so she can practice and get her restricted license.