Greasing Wheelbearings

felixx

hub had heaps of grease in it, I scooped it all out and replaced with shiny new stuff,

The original stuff looked nice n clean, but I brought a big thing of grease so splashed out.

Old grease got put in a rubber glove and put in my log burner :)

I used the tapping on my hand method.. took about 5- 8 minutes.

that's usually the meathod we all use. But 5-8 mins? Wow. Your were concentrating to much on the bwebs and not enough on the job at hand....

Oh and don't get too much grease on your shaft.

I use a slightly different method (I learnt working on aircraft when doing 20-30 a day) which involved using a piece of nylon / plastic chopping board, putting a dollop of grease on the board then dragging just one side of the outer inner taper race through the edge of the grease,(it uses the height difference between the inner and outer cage to graw in the grease) it was a really clean method and you could tell when you had a good amount of grease coming out between the top (outer end ) of the rollers.

-bloody hard to explain/ probably makes no sense but I have not used a normal hand application method since..

I might need to whip out MS paint to explain fully..