Issues starting car

kseries.rookie

Hey guys.. NEED HELP!

In the mornings, i turn the key.. theres battery, thats not the problem but it kind of goes E-E-E-EE--E-EE-EE-E-E- *spluttter* nothing... round two E-EE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E *splutter* nothing.. and this happends a couple of times.. then after the 16th millionth time. It goes E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E *splutter* *splutter* *splutter* *splutter*... and starts, but starts rough as.. as if you're running on 3 cylinders and your timings way off haha. after a little rev, it's fine? If I turn off the car, try and start it again 2 hours later.. it's fine?!

Any suggestions? Blocked fuel line? Block fuel filter?

Hey guys.. NEED HELP!

In the mornings, i turn the key.. theres battery, thats not the problem but it kind of goes E-E-E-EE--E-EE-EE-E-E- *spluttter* nothing... round two E-EE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E *splutter* nothing.. and this happends a couple of times.. then after the 16th millionth time. It goes E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E *splutter* *splutter* *splutter* *splutter*... and starts, but starts rough as.. as if you're running on 3 cylinders and your timings way off haha. after a little rev, it's fine? If I turn off the car, try and start it again 2 hours later.. it's fine?!

Any suggestions? Blocked fuel line? Block fuel filter?

Had same problem on my hillman. After setting the points in the distributor it now starts sweet with hardly any cranking and doesnt sound like its running on three till I rev it alot.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, also my missus tried to start it yesterday morning and she thought it smelt like fuel.. and assured me she wasn't pushing the accelerator.. I'm just going to give it a good once over. The interior smelt like really average, the layer of dust on the dash/cluster was unreal.. so I don't think it's been overly looked after.

Cheers for help, I now have a starting point

What gets me is that once it's started, it's sweet as for starting.. I just tried starting again as it's been sitting since 10am and it's finally started after the 20th turn. I had a look under the hood, the leads have recently been replaced as they look new. Could this be done cause of the wrong fireing order?

It's got a plastic fuel filter, so I am going to change that. I'll whip off the spark plugs check to make sure theres fuel getting to them & give them a clean. Any other suggestions?

Nah nothing noticable from the drivers seat looking back. I have just been in contact with the old owner. She was told (2 years ago) when she bought it that it had a "full service" and in that time she hasn't done any maintenance work. On my way home, best I stop in to RIPCO and get a oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, some oil.. I'm going to check the vacuum lines as well. Who the fuck doesn't do an oil change in two fucking year! "How many KM's have you done in the last two years".. her response "Oh, I duno.."

Just be careful pulling the HT leads out to replace the plugs as on them 5E's they are quite thin and can be brittle. They may look OK but they are broken on the inside - it would pay to test them if you have a multimeter - approx 5000 ohms per foot is the standard I go by..

I've bought some new spark plugs, also and oil filter & oil (28 bucks for 4 litres of oil at repco, not bad). They are ordering in me a fuel filter, and also and air filter. Could be a cool cat and go and get a sweet poddy.. :/.

@Low n slow.. do you find you have to do this eeeverytime you are going to start your car??

I'll give it a go. I tried to start the car this morning at 5:30am before heading to work. It was a pain, but I got it going. Had a look behind & was a bit smokey. It actually kind of makes sense that it's the auto choke cause when it's cold.. it sometimes idles at 1700 ish, sometimes even higher