Knock off wheels, one mans point of view.

Vintage Grumble

don't see that ever happening imo,

my thoughts on wheels(which i think a few will agree on/do unintentionally) is that you use wheels from your cars era of racing

3a.jpg

b310 sunny on a3as

2306744004_9510964aa7.jpg

s12/s110 on hoshino impuls

sstp_0906_07_z+honda_civic_spoon+three_civics.jpg0020005.jpg

civics on spoon wheels

Volvo_Wagon.jpg

90s ish volvo wagon on 17s(no clue what :? )

and so on........

chromes where never used in racing an hold no nostalgic value

i think if Rota were in breach of any copyright laws they would be shut down very quickly,

they are a replica with similar appearance to the original.

whether or not they are as durable as the original is irrelevant as they have to meet the same standards for purpose.

As far as getting worked up about the whole fake/real debate i think anyone that really gets stuck in should go outside and hit one of their rims with a sledgehammer,

the cost/trouble/effort of replacing that rim is often thought about when rim choice is made.

Buying a $1000 set with ready replacements is just sensible for some people and building your own set as simon has done is just as rewarding although if something happens replacement can be a bit more of an ordeal.

As far as getting into the science of it metallugy of the a real/fake wheel has to be different as you're not comparing apples with apples,

aluminum has plenty of grades and qualities and price is very indicative of what has been used,

similarly it would be like comparing a cast magnesium wheel to a cast alloy wheel.

the whole real/fake debate could bash around in circles for years and still divide opinion,

buy fit for purpose and weigh up your options.

You can make and old banger look good on $400 wide steels or $5000 3 piece rims,

the purpose or use of the car should dictate the direction you take.

I didnt mean/want to start a shit fight, and like Simon says, no real scientific research has been done either way to prove or disprove the quality of any wheels. We all know a cast wheel is never going to be as strong as a forged wheel of similar design, I just dont think these knock off wheels are as shit as people make out. I'm sure if there were any safety issues with any brand of rim, they wouldnt be on the market very long.

Volvo_Wagon.jpg

90s ish volvo wagon on 17s(no clue what :? )

and so on........

chromes where never used in racing an hold no nostalgic value

Wrong. The Volvos used 18 inch forged oz racing then went to 19 inch forged bbs

I personally think that cast wheels are perfectly fine. The whole fake thing is just stupid. They may not be as strong as super duper über elite forged wheels but who really cares. For 99.9% they are perfectly fine and they look good and are cheap

actually a bit would have been done otherwise they wouldn't pass the standards required to get a road use certification.

there must be a road use certification standard somewhere on the e-net otherwise ring arrow in auckland as i'm sure he'll have them on file.

quality versus legality are two different arguments.

hypothetically simons wheels may not be legal as they may be outside the manufacturers specifications for width offset etc for that centre yet the quality may well be higher than the other wheel,

from an insurance standpoint if the wheels say 14x9jj and they are actually14x11jj i'm pretty sure they wouldn't pay out if they found out on the base they maybe an uncertified item,

the knock off may be poorer quality but still remain completely legal even if it snaps in half after a prang.

People will argue this for 100 pages and still not get a clear answer. It's one of those things you just have to agree to disagree and drop it before people say things they wish they hadn't.

Yeah I agree this thread is pointless. Not taking the piss but I can foresee not so long in the near future when late 90s/00s make a come back, we will be debating about what brand of chrome is genuine chrome etc.

chrome wheel comparison

The late 90's is already making something of a comeback with folks of my age/little bit older starting to yearn for stuff that they couldn't quite afford at that time... think RS Legacy's, BFMR's, BG's, EF Civics rocking Sektas, VX1's, Astrons, Momo Sport/Arrow and the like... awwww yeah.

Would own an EF SiR slammed on 16" ROH Astrons.