supercheap 3M paint

tregath

3M have completely barred reproduction of automotive panel n paint products and sold all their equipment to Repco. All of Repco's panel n paint gear will be its own label pretty soon but all of the duplicolour and vht etc will remain.

We went through this about a year ago

basically I think 3M wanted a cut of the market or wanted some associated bits of the paint factory or whatever - so for some reason bought out septone or whoever it was so all that 3m paint etc. at supercheap is just the same junk they had before but with a 3m label on it. if you look on the official 3m website you wont find a dickie bird about those products.

no.

originaly supercheap sold septone, but supercheap as a company grew faster than septone, and they couldnt supply enough, so sca went to 3m, and something happened to 3m (i think it was a big fire at the factory) so 3m had to outsource paint production to somewhere in asia i think it was, and that didnt go so well, it was either a quality issue or a supply issue, i dont know, so sca stopped selling 3m.

and now septone has grown large enough to supply sca, so thats coming back in, as well as duplicolor, pricing looks to be a little cheaper than 3m too. (septone much cheaper)

Bought the 3M masking tape and it seems real thin and not very sticky compared to other ones Ive tried so I wont be buying it .

What colour was the tape? The green stuff is designed not to be too sticky so it doesnt tear fresh paint or leave residue

Whitish colour. Its ok tape but I dont think its that cheap for what it is, theres better stuff out there for same price or cheaper.

Bought the 3M masking tape and it seems real thin and not very sticky compared to other ones Ive tried so I wont be buying it .

What colour was the tape? The green stuff is designed not to be too sticky so it doesnt tear fresh paint or leave residue

Whitish colour. Its ok tape but I dont think its that cheap for what it is, theres better stuff out there for same price or cheaper.

3m do 2 types of tape, decorating and automotive. the decorating stuff is very low tack designed not to pull cheap badly prepped wall paint off your house the automotive stuff costs even more and is designed to survive high temperatures and not leave glue everywhere and tbh is probably the best ive used

3m do 2 types of tape, decorating and automotive. the decorating stuff is very low tack designed not to pull cheap badly prepped wall paint off your house the automotive stuff costs even more and is designed to survive high temperatures and not leave glue everywhere and tbh is probably the best ive used

After using the tape over the weekend its not as bad as I first thought (though it typically doesnt want to stick at first) but it does the trick, I got a couple rolls left to use so not much choice til its gone.

Sprayed my ute with the 3M silver metallic which come out real good but from a distance the colour looks like grey primer instead haha. Maybe coz I havent put clear-coat on yet?