Diesel 350 Sump vs Ae86 crossmember/rack

MrMcdoll

Hi,

As you all know, I am retarded.

Due to this fact, I am putting one of these:

19141d1274180187t-90-xj-gasoline-conversion-diesel-possible-diesel3.jpg

into one of these:

063_ta23.jpg

Strangely enough, I have only really run into one problem thus-far.

The sump on the diesel is rear-facing, the crossmember from an AE86 (the only thing I could use to get the steering geometry close to factory with a power steering rack) is also rear facing.

They fucking hate each other, so the engine has to stick up more than the pants of a 3rd former when his hot biology teacher starts talking about how mammals breed....

I was considering mangling up the crossmember, or somehow flipping it round to be front facing, then swapping the front struts/hubs over and other such malarkey - but I reckon that will be both incredibly cunty as well as guaranteeing that the steering is fucking terrible.

SO I was hoping that someone would know something about 350 sumps and if there is the possibility of swapping a front sump onto the engine. I think that old Chevy Novas had front sumps, but I'm not sure if they'd fit so don't really wanna fork out for one and find that it doesn't.

Also, if I cut and welded the bottom part of the sump back to front, then just got a longer oil sucker upperer (oil pickup?) would that be okay do you think?

The only other stuff I wanted to get a bit more info on, is what sort of shocks and springs would be easy to fit, that would come anywhere near being strong enough to support an engine that weighs nearly 400kgs!? When I sit the engine in at the moment, the front of the car drops about the same amount as the shocks can travel!! (it's really quite awesome with that much rake, but I don't think it would pass any wofs!!)

Cheers in advance for help / I knew this project would be fucking retarded when I began - but i'm sure you all wanna see me pull it off!!

v8 commodore or falcon strut inserts/springs would have to be investigated surely,

commodore runs a mac strut also,

flipping the sump with a longer pickup will be fine just make sure you get good oil pressure after its all tig'd together before you start it.

Cheers guys,

Yeah the olds diesel shares the same oil pump, rocker covers and a few other bits. The sump is different though so I wasn't sure if they'd be compatible.

That transverse one in the pic is out of a third-gen toronado.

Apparently they were sacks of shit!

Yea dude its been done a million times before just cut and flip your sump and extend the oil pickup, I would never do major mods to the x-memeber for the sump bar maybe a notch to get the engine lower. As above make a template from cardboard and take it to someone, you could tackle it yourself but sometimes the steel on those old sumps can be a cunt to weld