Quiet tyres - directional, asymmetrical or symmetrical?

Unclejake

Gah! I thought I knew this stuff but it appears they don't sell as many cross-plys as they did when I was young.

Anyway: I need to put some 235/35R19s (or 245/35/19s) on the wife's car and I want quiet tyres. It is a cooking model Audi and will not be driven at the limit, but I don't want crap either.

Something not too expensive, quiet, and as comfortable as you can get in a 35 series would be swell.

So: Are asymmetrical tyres really generally the quietest?

Any hook ups would be grand too I guess, but I am in Wellington of course (the rims are bare ATM)

So: Are asymmetrical tyres really generally the quietest?

I don't think so.

Symmetrical are quietest as they don't have the lugs to trap air which is what produces the loud road noise.

Can't recommend anything in 19 inch sorry haha, can for 14's!

Not sure how helpful this will be, but I recently had to get some (17s). Bridgestone MY01 'appeared' to be rubbish from what I read, and RE002 seemed to be the business. Might be a bit high spec / pricey though if the car isn't going to be pushed. I guess anything half decent in a 19 isn't going to be cheap though, so worth comparing them to lesser tyres $$ wise. Grip is always no.1 on my want list, and the price difference between MY01 and RE002 wasn't bugger all for a much better tyre.

Well impressed with them.

http://www.firestone.co.nz/tyres/produc ... _35_19_95W

Thanks Bling. Yeah, grip is probably fourth on the list for this car. Low road noise, comfort and stability would be higher priorities..... not that we can expect much comfort from a 35 series.

I looked at the Bridgestone RE050A today, and they were up there @ $460ea. $250 each would be nice.

MY01's arent rubbish, they're a entry level performance, - sports touring tyre. So you have a mix of touring and performance, as a result you dont really get one real aspect over the other, more a compromise - yes you're correct in the fact that the Re002 isnt much more over the My01 in terms of cost, they're a extremely good tyre indeed.

@ UJ. pm sent