VW Kombi steering box help

SOHC

Hello I have a 64 Kombi bus with steering witch jambs every now then, I pulled the steering box apart and found some funny thinhs, I think someone has glued a spacer somewhere where it souldn't go, you can see in my pic its was on the selector shaft, if any one could identify where that spacer should go would be good.

vw001q.jpg

vw002m.jpg

vw003.jpg

Looks to me like you are missing something, also don't think that spacer is the original one.

I would suggest stripping whole box and looking for damage to bushes, worm etc first before proceeding

I think its the opposite, I have something extra, I striped the whole box down, there is one ball bearing missing from one of the races, did a dry build with out that spacer and it works mint.

Have no idea why someone would put it there.

Pretty much my feeling, the way a steering box behaves on the road is different to on the bench. I would check everything over again and use the prescribed method- ie consult actual VW manual before proceeding.

I would hate for another splitty to end up wrecked because of a steering seizure..

The top cap being rubbed by the peg tells me there isn't enough shims TBH

On a closer look at the photos it makes no sense whatsoever for that spacer to be where it was (assuming I am looking correctly) unless it was a bodgy repair due to something else allowing the pitman arm selector shaft to push up(?) onto that cover. You would lose all steering in that scenario.

Could the mystery spacer belong between the pitman arm and the steering box housing?

This gives me a bad feeling and I think you need an exploded diagram of the steering box.

What is that on the white cloth in this photo? It doesn't look like a bearing race but it is hard to tell.

http://kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/view ... f8c0889a91

dsc01740eb.jpg

In the photo I can see that spacer thing sitting on the rag in the bottom left, its sitting with the shims for that bottom cap, I think it may be to space the bottom ball race up,

Pretty much my feeling, the way a steering box behaves on the road is different to on the bench. I would check everything over again and use the prescribed method- ie consult actual VW manual before proceeding.

I would hate for another splitty to end up wrecked because of a steering seizure..

The top cap being rubbed by the peg tells me there isn't enough shims TBH

Yes I will try to find a exploded diagram to see where everything goes, and do the final ajustments with it in the car.

The top cap has been rubbed cause someone shoved that spacer in there

Have a look here http://www.vintagebus.com/ under the Parts section of a kombi page 255 if you need more details or other parts

267.png

I will try and dig out the rebuilding section - such as tolerances and stuff.

Cool thank you, I can just make out in that diagram the spacer isn't there, I will report back tomorrow with my findings.

there is one ball bearing missing from one of the races

Are you sure there is one missing or is there just room where one more to fit?

I have always been told that with loose ball set ups you fill the race with however many balls fit then take one out to leave a gap so the balls are pressed against each over or something to that effect..

there is one ball bearing missing from one of the races

Are you sure there is one missing or is there just room where one more to fit?

I have always been told that with loose ball set ups you fill the race with however many balls fit then take one out to leave a gap so the balls are pressed against each over or something to that effect..

I could fit 2 more in, but like you say its good to leave a gap or they won't work,

Have a look here http://www.vintagebus.com/ under the Parts section of a kombi page 255 if you need more details or other parts

267.png

I will try and dig out the rebuilding section - such as tolerances and stuff.

Cool thank you, I can just make out in that diagram the spacer isn't there, I will report back tomorrow with my findings.

is that spacer not number 19 in that image?