torsion bars?

Rhyscar

spent the day fixing up one of the utes on the farm and really want to know if torsion bars wear out over time like a normal spring?

i would guess that they would as they are doing the same job as a spring etc. why i'm asking is because i've got a problem with a ute bottoming out even though it is super jacked and has awesome shocks. this shock loading isn't good for it and broke the strut mount clean off the chassis rail. :o

yup just like everything they can wear out and lose tension . to the point of bottoming out is weird though

wouldnt be the first time i have seen a shock mount break off.

those torsions must have had a hard as fuck life though because i have only ever replaced damaged ones

yeah ute has had a pretty hard life. might have to enquire as to where to find replacements. don't like my luck though.

just looking at things it seems like the shock is waay too long for the application. at full droop the shock is twice as long (when removed) as it needs to be. so maybe the shock is bottoming out too early. have monroe offroad shocks in them. might be worth finding some standard ones off one of the other spare utes perhaps.

thanks for the knowledge :)

check the bumpstops to see if its actually bottoming out or the shock is doing the slamming..

hard to believe a torsion bar will lose all torsion tension like that if its "jacked"...

if its broken a strut mount off then i would put money on it being a issue with the shock reaching full compression before it gets to the bump stop,so the shock takes the full force and the only thing to give is the mount...check the shock shafts too,they may have a nice curve in them now..

could even take the shocks out and give it a test drive to see if that stops the "bottoming out" feeling,itll handle like a boat full of imigrants,just take it easy, then chuck in some shorter stroke shocks,or bigger bumpstops

check the bumpstops to see if its actually bottoming out or the shock is doing the slamming..

hard to believe a torsion bar will lose all torsion tension like that if its "jacked"...

if its broken a strut mount off then i would put money on it being a issue with the shock reaching full compression before it gets to the bump stop,so the shock takes the full force and the only thing to give is the mount...check the shock shafts too,they may have a nice curve in them now..

could even take the shocks out and give it a test drive to see if that stops the "bottoming out" feeling,itll handle like a boat full of imigrants,just take it easy, then chuck in some shorter stroke shocks,or bigger bumpstops

yeah this is my thinking as well. will have another look but pretty sure the shocks have internal bumpstops. its on a late 80's navara which has double wishbone suspension.