Hillman Gearbox?

HUNT3D

I've decided not to buy a new engine for my 75' Hillman Hunter and have decided to work the original 1725cc but i need help on a gearbox...I haven't a clue of what (if any) 5 speed gearbox's can bolt straight on with no or not much work...Help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Both driveshaft and clutch splines should be identical, think the drive shaft might even be the right length?

Hardest bit would be the bellhousing and moving the shifter forwards.

Avenger on here has had it done to one of his avengers so would be able to give you more advice regarding the bellhousing etc.

Both driveshaft and clutch splines should be identical, think the drive shaft might even be the right length?

Hardest bit would be the bellhousing and moving the shifter forwards.

Avenga on here has had it done to one of his avengers so would be able to give you more advice regarding the bellhousing etc.

Yes, I have done a 5 speed conversion on my '75 Avenger. We have also done the same conversion on another member Avenger, with a few more in the pipeline.

You can read about it over on the Avenger forum. I created a thread with heaps of photos of the process and info.

http://www.avenger.co.nz/forum/index.php?topic=60.0

Avengers don't share the same gearbox or engine as the Hunter so I am not sure how similar the process will be but basically what we do with our Avengers is use an automatic Avenger bellhousing which is detachable (The Avenger manual has an integral bellhousing which would need cutting and welding i.e much more difficult to do)

Once we have the auto bellhousing we then make an adapter plate which bolts the auto Avenger bellhousing up to the Ford Sierra gearbox. The spacing of the adapter means the drive shaft is now the correct length.

All the splines on both ends are the same on the Avenger and you use the standard Avenger clutch etc, just need to make up the clutch pivot point and cut a clutch fork window.

You also need to make a new gearbox mount and move the gear lever forward but photos of all that are on that post on the Avenger forum.