My Datsun 720 4WD.

WhangareiKE70

Been thinking of a few options for engine upgrades for this, trying to keep it in the Nissan family, so:

RB20/25DET

SR20DET

VG30E/ET/DE/DET/DETT

VH41/45DE

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas for any of these?

I am wanting decentish torque as well as reliability, with all out power not being super important.

Also wanting reliability.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been thinking of a few options for engine upgrades for this, trying to keep it in the Nissan family, so:

I am wanting decentish torque as well as reliability, with all out power not being super important.

Also wanting reliability.

Only Answer = TD42...

ps...is that the bullbars or a farm gate that got stuck in there as the last owner crashed thru it?

My guess is a bit of both TBH. On the list for removal.

And am wanting to smash a 2 stroke detroit diesel in there tbh. Though TD42 would be cool. Im sure with a big enough hammer and a grinder I could make anything fit..

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

the body lift is the only way to go on a wagon with torsion bars,

(obviously not the only way) but by far and away the least hassle with the least amount of repercussions, i did a 3 inch lift on my delica, that didn't have the ability to do a body lift, so it was torsion bars, arm spacers, ball joint spacers, gear box and engine spacers, longer shackles, longer shocks, modified leafs,

compared to 6 or 8 nylon blocks, its a no brainer, plus spacers don't fuck with the ride at all,

if it was me personally, i'd ditch the wellside, and make a wooden flat deck.

flat decks are awesome :D

fair enough,

as far spacers, just buy nylon as a long rod from most engineering suppliers (or use 50mm square tube steel)

cut appropiate size, drill hole, get 50mm longer bolts,

undo body bolts, undo steering from box,

then lift the body up, away from the chassis, making sure you dont catch any wires etc,

insert spacers, bolts etc,

and do up,

you may need to extend the steering part,

but not always, i didnt have to on a safari i lifted,

even if you do its not a major,

remove the steering from the 2 universal joints, cut in half and weld in a small section, re-connect,

all in its quite an easy job, but you'll need a couple of mates and a few hours, have a search on youtube there must be some vids on there

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man on the way of motors have you thought of using the z18et or doing a z22+ big T? considering it seems you have a buget constraints in the mean time it is a conversion to consider as all of your mounts and not to mention gearbox are the same.

I love 720's I had one

8791000073_0_1.jpg

Mine had air shocks in the back that you pumped up it gave me more lift when i wanted it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As well as all the rest, I am looking at putting in a 2" lift kit when I do the engine (only want to pay for cert once).

Do I have to worry about crush tubes, or just crush rating? Also do I just measure the width of the mounts and chassis rails to determine the diameter of blocks I want?

I need 16 all up as well as bolts, washers and nuts, so if you know what ones are good or have hook ups let me know. Will probably not be seriously looking to buy for a little while yet as isn't an immediate priority.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah! It's just a pity it's so rusty in the sides, beacuse the bottom of it is pretty much rust free. The most important bit is that the shapeof the corrugations is the same all over so I can use the good bits from the centre of the parts tray to patch the bad bits at the side of mine.

I could really start getting stuck in from now on, but not having a welder is really holding me back.