1992 Lancer making nasty noises - Diagnosis HELP please!

My name is Russell

Took a quick vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPByK3GjmM

Sounded like a dry bearing at first so have removed the alternator belt, power steering belt, and A/C belt but the sounds still there.

So last three things it could be i guess are cam belt water pump, tensioner, or mains bearings? Does this sound like any of these things to anyone?

Has oil, and engine is 150,000kms and cam belt was done at 75,000kms.

Just pooped on computer to gloogle how to get the cam belt of past the bottom pully.

you'll need to remove the crank pulley (22mm socket, or 1/2" drive) to gain access to the lower cambelt area.

that noise sounds nasty anyhow! It could be the water pump, as its driven off the cambelt.

you'll need to remove the crank pulley (22mm socket, or 1/2" drive) to gain access to the lower cambelt area.

really hope its water pump its just gotten supper noisy out of nowhere . . . cheers fuel, any tips on how to crack the nut on the crank pully i.e stop it spinning? Think I'm probably loosing man points asking this question!

Thanks Fuel

good compressor and good rattle gun. It should be done up fucking tight, like 190Nm, but some mechanics are mongrels and will do it up tighter and use loctite as if it's not done up tight enough, it starts to wear out the crank key way (like I did to my 6A12).

Put your socket and power bar on the crank nut and wedge it against the lower arm etc.

unplug the distributor and hit the key. Its the best back yard method of loostening the crank pulley with no rattle gun.

That is a nasty noise, it should be obvious what it is when you get it appart.

Are you sure something isn't hitting sheetmetal Chris?

Get a length of garden hose or a long steel bar and see if you can isolate the noise to a particular area of the motor before you pull more stuff off.

Yup tried this UJ, hayhole and myself couldn't really work out exactly were its coming from.

take the bellhousing inspection plate off and jam up the flywheel ring gear with a pry bar or large screw driver, then get a power bar with long extension on the crank bolt. But before doing that I would get under the car while the engine is running with a torch and see if that gives you a better insight where the noise is coming from.