N14 Gearbox type?

lou

So I am able to aquire (for free) a 1991 GTi pulsar. The problem being it has a stuffed gearbox.

What I need to know is

1, Do they have the LSD or non-LSD as standard?

2, Would the non-LSD work if I found one cheaper than the LSD model?

3, Anyone got one lying around or know where a cheap one is? Local wreckers want $695.

No fucking way in hell am I keen to spend anywhere near that amount.

Hoping for around 1-2 hundy and a swift reach around.

not sure but i wouldnt gamble on it. both series are dime a dozen tho, I'd look at a cheap primera box. let your fingers do the walking.

I've got a n15 gti and it's sweet, even if you pay 600 for a box that's been checked over thats still fuck all man for a car

600 is more than I'd be wanting to spend on 'this' car. Specialy as I would only be flicking it off for a grand or so in a couple of months.

I've read that some primera box's take shorter half shafts. Any idea which ones?

The LSD and non LSD have to different length driveshafts mate, and different inner cv's. If you got yourself a non LSD gearbox you'd need the driveshaft from one of the NZ new SR driven pulsars (rare as hens teeth?). However your choice of LSD gearboxes include the N14 gti, the N15 gti, vzr and autech or various primeras came out with LSD. If you find a hydraulic one you can swap over your cable shifting mechanism very easily.

Hope that points you in the right direction!

Havnt got it yet. He told me he was driving along and it went 'BANG' (his words) now its stuck in fourth. Can engage the clutch but wont go out of or into any other gear.

Can still be driven if you ride the clutch at low rev's but has't been.

The LSD and non LSD have to different length driveshafts mate, and different inner cv's. If you got yourself a non LSD gearbox you'd need the driveshaft from one of the NZ new SR driven pulsars (rare as hens teeth?). However your choice of LSD gearboxes include the N14 gti, the N15 gti, vzr and autech or various primeras came out with LSD. If you find a hydraulic one you can swap over your cable shifting mechanism very easily.

Hope that points you in the right direction!

add Lucino ZZ to that also and if you find VZR parts cheaper than 600 or GTI parts you're the man