Starter Motor woes - sorted

felixx

Anglia 105e

Went to fire her up today to get her into the sunlight to sort the brakes issue.

The starter motor turned but was not engaging the flywheel so all I got was wirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRR

I tried tapping the motor and bell housing with a hammer and had no luck

I tried putting the car in gear and rocking it, swaying it etc and had no luck

I got down on my knees and begged and had no luck

So I pulled the starter out...

Are the teeth fucked?

P5220244.jpg

it will be a sticky and not sliding the gear out to engauge

if you had given it a little "tap tap" it prolly would have started but since you got it out try giving it a clean and bench test you just need jump leads and a screwdriver to test it

UJ wins

if its spinning and not turning the motor then its not engaging

copied this from some random site (mrfixit.com)

On a bench test, the negative battery jumper cable goes to the vice that is holding the starter by the frame. The Positive goes to the "big terminal" on the solenoid. Jump from the big terminal to one of the smaller ones with a jumper wire or a screwdriver blade to actuate the solenoid. It should click and the starter should whirrrrr. If it does, don't get carried away and let it spin freely for a long time - it's not good to run a starter with no load for extended periods of time, especially an old and tired one.

If it doesn't spin, look for another "big" wire going into the starter. On GMs you can usually see it at the other end of the solenoid - it goes into the body of the starter. I'm not sure about other makes and models. Look around. Carefully touch the + jumper cable to it and the starter should immediately whirrrr and you should get a good sized spark - that is normal - the starter is a heavy current eater.

If you get no whir from that test then the starter motor is fried inside. You can take it apart and see if it is fixable (new brushes, a clean-up of the commutator and possibly new windings, but at that point I would suggest a rebuilt starter/solenoid assy.

If the starter did whir on the last test then you can remove the solenoid and either rebuild it or replace it, the later being a good idea. The new starter will come with a new or rebuilt Bendix drive which is probably next in line for failure.

maybe someone has stolen the flywheel..

ok, so in all seroius-ness that gear looks pretty sweet to me, I'd clean it up a get the gear to move out freely, have also had this occur where a tired battery fails to get enough momentum happening to get the gear to throw out properly...

Felix, a bench test of that starter will take 5 mins. All you need are a couple of jumper leads and a battery.

The Cortina used to split standard starters in half due to high compression, but you should have no issues. If yours is stuffed then count the teeth before sourcing a replacement. I think they are 9 or 8 teeth (or it could be 9 or 10... I can't remember)

Well it appeared to be OK, put it back in

WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

checked the voltage of the battery 9.6V

Put it on the charger (only for 45 min as I was impatient) wrrr clunk

So it is engaging, will fire her up tomorrow night, then the indicators go in.

Saturday, check the rear brakes