Best thing to de-crud a cooling system?

RUNAMUCK

A messy method - using plain water - is to get it up to pressure, without the thermostat in. Find some waste ground and take the rad cap off. Quick release in pressure can do a good job dislodging the stuck shit.

Take some water to refill after it's all cooled down (:

Just run quick...

• Like 1

Here is an old mechanics trick............get a couple of detergent tablets that you use in your household dishwasher.Break up one tablet and put it in the radiator,go for a 10 min drive with the heater turned on full, come home let it cool & remove the thermostat and flush it out.Refit the thermostat and do the whole process again.I have been using this method for years and it works a treat.Just make sure you use tablets for a dishwasher as they do not foam up.If you use liquid dishwashing detergent that you would use for washing up by hand it will foam up like it has rabies and overheat.Good Luck

Do you reckon it'll matter if I use one with the powerball? ( Built in rince aid) They get my dishes super clean. lol

It'll sit in the heater core getting your windscreen crystal clear via demister until it dissolves. Sounds like the ultimate plan.

^legend.

Whatever you do, I'd make sure you flush the system out with normal water before you put the coolant mix back. It might sound picky, but you use demineralized water to top up your radiator because the extra crap in tap water can scale and build up (like the inside of old kettles). I wouldn't want the soda and and stuff sitting around inside of the pipes until your next coolant change. It's no harm done, and will slow the build up of crap in the long run

Also applying water wetting agent to the water afterwards can only help.

I dunno the science behind it (I should I am a science teacher) but it allows the water to get even closer to the metal and increase the ability of the water to take heat away from the engine.

Found an explanaition here:

http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/vw-performance/24-How-can-I-improve-heat-transfer-what-are-alternative-cool.html

Interesting to note that it may help displace fine sediment in the engine as well

• 4 months later...

I did it too.

When I pulled the thermostat housing to drain the water out, gay RB's have the thirmostat housing flange directly above the alternator which got a good drink. Fast forward one week, and the alternator shit it's pants.

Probably not related, but a bit fishy none the less.