E Class A (ATV Reg) FAIL SAGA : why not to try etc.

JoKer

i love your determination, but as per government spec they just don't care

btw: everyone's driveway/workshop is classed as an access road or part of the road, until you put up a gate or rope saying "private property, no public access". as long as its open to the road and has a driveway then its part of the road

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

determination can be easily confused for stupidity

how do you rego an ATV at the beach I am now left wondering???? <

Class A was the "legal'ist" rego I could find and it did fit into the category from my interpretation

plus I don't own a farm and in no way was trying to defraud the system (I would definitely go for a skate I reckon if I tried that) least I could plead ignorance/seem to have been given benefit of the doubt and am glad no further action appears to have been sought

the rope idea is good (wont happen either) but has not been mentioned yet

cant say I didn't try!

The old chestnut that is Class A reg...

A car is, and will not be an ATV. However, there used to be a way to put a passenger car on exempt class A without re-registering it as a different category of vehicle.

Had my Viva on it for a while until I put it on hold. It is registered as a car, but was under exempt A licensing not the standard one (G, I think).

Got a letter from LTNZ earlier in the year saying they were changing rules and only an ATV or certain earthmoving equipment/off road equipment could be licensed under A and that at the next time I bought a license it would need to be back on G. They made it quite clear that it was not suitable for passenger cars.

Heaps of guys used to put class A reg on their race cars and A frame them around / dodgy drive. There was a clause in the conditions of the licensing rules that said the vehicle could be used on the road under class A "for purpose of inspection or repair" - I kept that page in my glovebox! You just had to know a mate with a workshop in each corner of the city to say that's where you were going for "repair".

A little older and wiser I realised that the fines and consequences could be $400-$600 plus insurance hassles so I bought a better insurance policy - a car transport trailer - sorted.

The amount I now spend keeping everything WOF'd/REG'd for only a few days driving per year makes me cringe.

There should be a special "low use" license category.